Motor Cycle Brand New Worth Many Thousands Of Pounds..Free.

Following on from the theives in Walkley thread yet another fine example of pc policing,Manchester police won't even bother chasing you if steal a shiney new motorbike without a helmet cus you may fall off and hurt your witta head.

Police in Greater Manchester let three thieves drive away on stolen motorbikes - over fears for the safety of the riders who were not wearing helmets.

Officers were ordered not to pursue the bikes which were stolen from a showroom in Altrincham early on Thursday.

They instead watched as three people drove away on motorbikes said to be worth about £17,000.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the national policy on the pursuit of motorbikes had been followed.

Conservative Altrincham and Sale West MP Graham Brady criticised the decision to prevent the police from pursuing the trio, while shop owner Tony Crawford branded the policy "ridiculous".

Mr Brady said it appeared criminal safety had been put ahead of public priorities.

He said he was "very concerned" that the decision was taken centrally rather than allowing the officers to use their judgement.

"This doesn't, in my view, reflect the priorities of the public who would like to see police giving chase when they see criminals in the process of committing a crime."

Mr Crawford, who only recently set up the Manchester Motorbike Store on Woodfield Road, said: "I just think it's gone ridiculous.

"If they are going to steal these high-powered vehicles then they can literally go and do what they want with them, with the comfort that they know they're not going to get chased with whatever crimes they decide to do."

Supt Steve Nibloe, of GMP, said: "The officers were asked not to pursue the suspects, as they were not wearing the correct safety equipment and were not wearing helmets, so it is clear to me the correct decision was taken.

"Greater Manchester Police follows a nationwide policy which gives clear guidance that motorbikes should not be pursued because of the higher risk of injury to the rider.

"Detectives are pursuing a number of positive leads around this burglary as part of their thorough investigation, which is ongoing."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-10984311

There is a more practical reason , most bikes will completely blow away the patrol cars used by the police , especially a diesel panda , the bike can weave through traffic and be away in seconds and any attempt to get near it will require a ridiculous level of recklessness on behalf of the police driver. Next to consider is even if they catch it , how do you make it stop ? , boxing techniques wont work , a stinger could result in the bike ending up in the path of an innocent motorist or pedestrian as it WILL lose control.

Although personally I would support the use of air to ground missiles to stop the thieving sods there and then I can understand why police are told not to pursue bikes

I've never understood why a chip isn't installed in engine management systems that allows engines to be shut down using a masterkey and a radio signal.
Yeah, I suppose they could, but it'd be a lot more exciting my way!

Remember a spin off from Scavenger Hunt about 20 years ago where a guy in a long black leather coat used to hunt the contestants down and 'shoot' them from a helicopter? I used to love that programme ... can't rememember what it was called though. :suspect:

ETA: Just remembered 'The Interceptor'

Supt Steve Nibloe, of GMP, said: "The officers were asked not to pursue the suspects, as they were not wearing the correct safety equipment and were not wearing helmets, so it is clear to me the correct decision was taken.

20 quid says he wouldnt see it that way if they were police bikes that had been stolen.

Useless coppers, only good for handing out speeding tickets :mad:

that's absolutely ridiculous!! I think everyone would want to steal motorbikes now knowing that they can get away with it only if they forget to wear thier helmets!!!:rolleyes:

It only means you won't be pursued at the time. It doesn't mean you won't get caught; not having your helmet on means everybody can see your face while you're pinching the bike.

That said, I'm with Steelhead; no police car is going to be any use at chasing down a motorcycle anyway. Why weren't they told not to chase because it would be pointless?

Archived