Government to ban cowboy clampers

I don't know how correct this quote is but it was the only one I could find from anything like a reputable source. It seems to suggest that charges or fees from not obeying parking rules on private land are going to be enforceable now. I can only guess this will be backed up by whatever changes need to be made to prevent people just ignoring private parking penalty fees/charges like they do now. I wonder which will make more money, clamping or being able to enforce penalty charges.

I think the key point in that quote is the use of ticket machines and being part of a code. There is nothing to imply that places such as Centertainment can enforce fixed penalty notices on what is effectively a free car park. The problem with clampers is that they view themselves as a law unto themselves where only the strong survive. It is the duty of those in power to make them see otherewise.

There is nothing to imply that places such as Centertainment can enforce fixed penalty notices

That is how it reads yes. Something needs to be done to allow for that though otherwise there is no deterrent. It will just become the norm to park in private car parks and use nearby unrelated facilities.

The new rules make it better than the current situation but you have to allow people to protect their private car parks from unauthorised people parking somehow.

That is how it reads yes. Something needs to be done to allow for that though otherwise there is no deterrent. It will just become the norm to park in private car parks and use nearby unrelated facilities.

The new rules make it better than the current situation but you have to allow people to protect their private car parks from unauthorised people parking somehow.

What happens in Scotland?

What happens in Scotland?

From what I can find, businesses have to put up with non-customers parking on their private car parks. They can issue them with penalty charges and people can choose to ignore them. Hardly the end of the world, but not fair either.

I've seen a lot of people saying they have had their car "stickered" in Scotland too. A semi-permanent sticker attached to your window stating you are a parking thief might be a little deterrent to some!

So why is there no "road tax" on many modern cars which burn petrol or diesel?

Hardly a punishment on drivers!

I take it you do not drive then, tax on the fuel we buy, and on top of that vat on it, oh and not forgetting the TAX on insurance!!!, and you are moaning because some people drive economical fuel efficient cars that polute very little!!! :loopy:

From what I can find, businesses have to put up with non-customers parking on their private car parks. They can issue them with penalty charges and people can choose to ignore them. Hardly the end of the world, but not fair either.

I've seen a lot of people saying they have had their car "stickered" in Scotland too. A semi-permanent sticker attached to your window stating you are a parking thief might be a little deterrent to some!

You do seem to be trying awfully hard to invent a problem where one probably doesn't exist. When clamping is banned the only people who will have to alter the way they operated are the people who currently use clamps. 95% of pubs, supermarkets and other private land owners were unable to use clamps because they were not licenced to use them, and therefore no new problem will be introduced by the removal of the clamping deterent.

There are many alternatives to clamping. One is a barrier and this also allows an easy method of enforcing parking charges. Another method is to display a prominent sign to announce unauthorised parkers will be charged £20 to park. That is not a penalty and can be easily enforced in our court system to anyone who ignores the bill. That is a parking fee and not a penalty.

Our local pub has a football ground alongside it. They have signs asking non patrons to park elsewhere, and it seems to work even if a few football fans park in the car park and use the pub at half time as well as after the match. It isn't a problem.

Our local supermarket has recently introduced barriers. This is not to deter non customers but to stop idiots using the car park as a race track when the store is closed.

I have seen no evidence that problems arose in Scotland after clamping was banned. I know you keep claiming that it did but I haven't seen you produce anything to back up those claims.

Semi-permenant sticker, if it's purposefully made with high strength adhesive that would knowingly be difficult to remove from the car, the owner might have a criminal damage case.

If I remember correctly the car park next to Silver Blades had an entry/exit system whereby, on egress, a ticket had to be inserted to make the tyre shredders go flat.

I did see a lad try to get out without putting the ticket in. Wasn't really worth four punctures.

Archived