Government to ban cowboy clampers

I still don't understand the hatred towards these companies. Are people too dumb to realise that if you don't want a hugely inflated fine then don't park where you shouldn't? Or is that sounding too much like common sense?

Its the same as the hatred directed towards traffic wardens. Just a minority brain dead few who start hurling abuse when they're in the wrong and are too stubborn to see it. The phrase "Its everyone else's fault but mine" springs to mind.

I've never had an encounter with a clamper, so there is no logical reason to hate them all.

I still don't understand the hatred towards these companies. Are people too dumb to realise that if you don't want a hugely inflated fine then don't park where you shouldn't? Or is that sounding too much like common sense?

Why do you feel that "a hugely inflated fine" is appropriate?

Why should anyone be compensated to a level that is far far beyond any level of inconvenience they have suffered?

I have no problem with people policing their own land, but it's crazy to suggest that some of the charges are in anyway proportionate.

Why should anyone be compensated to a level that is far far beyond any level of inconvenience they have suffered?

I have no problem with people policing their own land, but it's crazy to suggest that some of the charges are in anyway proportionate.

Indeed the sight on BBC News of a UK citizen sitting for 30 hours in his car to prevent it from being towed away whilst the clampers applied ever more tickets in an attempt to black out the windows should have been enough to dispell any sympathy for these parasites. I bet it will look good on their CV when they start looking for a new job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10996451

Haroon Zafaryab began the protest in Wembley on Wednesday when he returned from Ramadan prayers to find his car clamped and was asked to pay £365.

He said that, as he sat in the vehicle, all four wheels were clamped and about 40 tickets were stuck to its window, amounting to £3,565 in fines.

Citywatch Parking Enforcement has refused to comment on the issue.

This incident even made the news in America where I am sure it did wonders for our tourist trade.

It's appropriate to deter people from doing it, surely it isn't that hard to see?

If I had a shop with a car park with 5 spaces (that I pay lots of money in rent for each year) I want that car park to be used for my customers. I don't want some idiot parking there to go off shopping at my competitors.

How to stop this? Issue anyone who parks there without using my store a very large fine. The result is people stop doing it.

It's appropriate to deter people from doing it, surely it isn't that hard to see?

If I had a shop with a car park with 5 spaces (that I pay lots of money in rent for each year) I want that car park to be used for my customers. I don't want some idiot parking there to go off shopping at my competitors.

How to stop this? Issue anyone who parks there without using my store a very large fine. The result is people stop doing it.

You can't fine people..only the courts can issue fines.....

I've always made it my policy not to shop at places that clamp vehicles. That includes shops, stores and restaurants. It is not the fear of being clamped that puts me off, it is the agressive threatening attitude that I find both intimidating and offputting. There are plenty of more welcoming establishments waiting for my trade.

Having said all that my Sheffield flat has clamping signs, but as the car park has an electronic post that residents can operate from their cars no clamping takes place anyhow.

Ah, this old chestnut. Yes, OK it's an invoice.

Maybe I'll clamp them and demand an invoice to release it then. Still, either way it stops people parking on my private land that I pay for for the benefit of my customers. Unless of course the person who has parked there decides to take the sob story to The Star who are too stupid to just dismiss it.

I've always made it my policy not to shop at places that clamp vehicles. That includes shops, stores and restaurants. It is not the fear of being clamped that puts me off, it is the agressive threatening attitude that I find both intimidating and offputting. There are plenty of more welcoming establishments waiting for my trade.

But don't you see why they do it?

Think about it. You pay a large amount of money each year to allow your customers to use your services. Why should you tolerate people using the parking for other things? You should be wanting to use those shops because there are obviously people watching the car park, making it more secure.

Ah, this old chestnut. Yes, OK it's an invoice.

Maybe I'll clamp them and demand an invoice to release it then. Still, either way it stops people parking on my private land that I pay for for the benefit of my customers. Unless of course the person who has parked there decides to take the sob story to The Star who are too stupid to just dismiss it.

Of course clamping it removes the obstacle to your customers doesn't it...

But don't you see why they do it?

Think about it. You pay a large amount of money each year to allow your customers to use your services. Why should you tolerate people using the parking for other things? You should be wanting to use those shops because there are obviously people watching the car park, making it more secure.

You think the clampers would be interested in anything other than clamping? Go on,you're having a laugh aren't you...

Archived