Government to ban cowboy clampers

It will in future, unless the driver of the car is that dense that they'd park there again.

So,if you owed me money and I came into your shop and took the most expensive thing you had for sale and said you can have it back when you pay me that'd be OK?

So,if you owed me money and I came into your shop and took the most expensive thing you had for sale and said you can have it back when you pay me that'd be OK?

How is that in any way comparable?

Although in effect, what you're describing are bailiffs.

Do you think that parking on private land to do your shopping in town to avoid paying is acceptable?

But don't you see why they do it?

Think about it. You pay a large amount of money each year to allow your customers to use your services. Why should you tolerate people using the parking for other things? You should be wanting to use those shops because there are obviously people watching the car park, making it more secure.

The sort of people who I've seen working for clamping companies have usually been little more than thugs who lurk around corners waiting for someone to infringe their rules so that they can pounce, and will then hang around to intimidate the poor unfortunate or tow away their vehicle in order to extort more cash. I would think this sort of person would be more interested in looking into my vehicle in order to steal the sta-nav rather than look after it.

My UK car resides in a car park protected by CCTV cameras and a parking pole, and so far the car has been untroubled despite being left for period of up to 6 months when I am not in the UK. There is a very good use for clamps. That is for private individuals to clamp their own car as an anti theft deterent. However my own feeling is it just draws attention to the fact that the car will be parked for a long period and act as a thief magnet.

No it's not, however, I asked why should anyone be compensated far far in excess of any inconvenience or loss they've suffered?

Again, its a deterrent.

Walking over the railway carries a £1000 fine. That doesn't necessarily cause the railway companies inconvenience or loss but its there as a deterrent.

The sort of people who I've seen working for clamping companies have usually been little more than thugs who lurk around corners waiting for someone to infringe their rules so that they can pounce, and will then hang around to intimidate the poor unfortunate or tow away their vehicle in order to extort more cash. I would think this sort of person would be more interested in looking into my vehicle in order to steal the sta-nav rather than look after it.

My UK car resides in a car park protected by CCTV cameras and a parking pole, and so far the car has been untroubled despite being left for period of up to 6 months when I am not in the UK. There is a very good use for clamps. That is for private individuals to clamp their own car as an anti theft deterent. However my own feeling is it just draws attention to the fact that the car will be parked for a long period and act as a thief magnet.

Rather than poor unfortunate, I would say the dumb person who wanted to avoid parking in a public car park.

Would you go to Cooplands, buy some lunch and then walk into a restaurant, sit down at a table and eat it? Hopefully not, so why is it acceptable to use a car park if you aren't providing the company with business?

Again, its a deterrent.

An entirely disproportionate one, which has proven to be their downfall.

Walking over the railway carries a £1000 fine. That doesn't necessarily cause the railway companies inconvenience or loss but its there as a deterrent.

It's a criminal offence, hence the fine, you're comparing apples to oranges and coming up with lemons!

An entirely disproportionate one, which has proven to be their downfall.

It's a criminal offence, hence the fine, you're comparing apples to oranges and coming up with lemons!

Isn't trespassing on private land a criminal offence?

Rather than poor unfortunate, I would say the dumb person who wanted to avoid parking in a public car park.

Would you go to Cooplands, buy some lunch and then walk into a restaurant, sit down at a table and eat it?

I wouldn't no, but I have no doubt many people would, at which point the proprietor can ask them to leave.

Hopefully not, so why is it acceptable to use a car park if you aren't providing the company with business?

Has anyone suggested it is acceptable?

Archived