Government to ban cowboy clampers

Most controlled barriers i have had to use leave sufficient time for the car to get throug not extra ones behind, also the need to be fobbed out.

Is there a particular problem in your car park of people waiting till someone happens to go so they can follow them and later waiting till someone goes out to follow them? Seems an awful amount of trouble to go to for free parking, they could be there for hours!!!

I've never known an issue, but is that because the large fine and clamping acts as a deterrent? If you knew that you could follow someone in, park in someone's space all day and nothing happen to you, would you consider it?

You don't need a fob to get out, only to get in.

Most controlled barriers i have had to use leave sufficient time for the car to get throug not extra ones behind, also the need to be fobbed out.

Is there a particular problem in your car park of people waiting till someone happens to go so they can follow them and later waiting till someone goes out to follow them? Seems an awful amount of trouble to go to for free parking, they could be there for hours!!!

It is a possibility, a long with many other possible problems that could have been prevented with more careful planning and thought been given to the new rules.

How is hard to understand that at the minute if someone chooses not to pay an "invoice for the unauthorised use of a car park situated on private land" (or whatever I have to call it to avoid getting verbal diarrhoea in response) they usually get away without paying. The only way to make sure people are charged is to clamp or tow. This option has now been removed so unless things are tightened up there is now a gaping hole in the regulations that mean you can park where you like on private land and face almost zero risk of actually having to pay any sort of "fine" (hold on while I look out the window to make sure the "correct use of the word fine" police aren't about to storm the building).

I may be completely wrong on that count though, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to move a car that is preventing you going about your business.

I may be wrong then, but it would seem that in that case you could hold a shop to ransom by simply parking across their entrance.

Towing to prevent an obstruction such as that is allowed I believe, but not by private companies. You have to ring the police I think.

Why...if it's not causing a problem in Scotland then why should it be different here? Anyway who made you the arbiter of "pointless"?

A question that has an answer so obvious is pointless by anyone's definition. Were you really unsure if every private car park in Scotland was completely full of cars that shouldn't be there?

I've never known an issue, but is that because the large fine and clamping acts as a deterrent? If you knew that you could follow someone in, park in someone's space all day and nothing happen to you, would you consider it?

Actually, no. If i wanted to park there during the day i would have to know when someone else was coming in in the morning and be there at the correct time to prevent waiting. An awful lot of work for nothing.

Is there any evidence that the large fine and clamping is preventing illegal parking or that its simply noone does it because of the controlled entry? Its like me saying that no elephants will sit on my car because i have a sign up saying "no elephants can sit here", when there is no proven track record of elephants sitting on my car in the past.

Ok. I concede my views on the matter were wrong. We have proved that because every private car parking space in Scotland isn't occupied by an illegal squatter that this change in rules isn't going to cause issues for any business or individual in England. How silly of me to even suggest otherwise.

I even wrote it in my signature as a reminder but I really should try harder to follow my rule for posting on the Internet :D

A question that has an answer so obvious is pointless by anyone's definition. Were you really unsure if every private car park in Scotland was completely full of cars that shouldn't be there?

I was trying to get Paul to see that his worries are greatly exaggerated.....didn't think I'd have to explain it to you.... :)

It is a possibility, a long with many other possible problems that could have been prevented with more careful planning and thought been given to the new rules.

How is hard to understand that at the minute if someone chooses not to pay an "invoice for the unauthorised use of a car park situated on private land" (or whatever I have to call it to avoid getting verbally diarrhoeal in response) they usually get away without paying. The only way to make sure people are charged is to clamp or tow. This option has now been removed so unless things are tightened up there is now a gaping hole in the regulations that mean you can park where you like on private land and face almost zero risk of actually having to pay any sort of "fine" (hold on while I look out the window to make sure the "correct use of the word fine" police aren't about to storm the building).

Exactly, this is the issue that will face shop owners and possibly residents.

What people don't seem to understand is that it isn't acceptable to use someone's land (who are paying for that land) to escape paying £1 in the public car park.

If people wasn't so selfish, tight and dumb then the type of companies that are now being banned wouldn't have formed in the first place!

Ok. I concede my views on the matter were wrong. We have proved that because every private car parking space in Scotland isn't occupied by an illegal squatter that this change in rules isn't going to cause issues for any business or individual in England. How silly of me to even suggest otherwise.

Y'see I'm going to follow the advice on your signature....

Exactly, this is the issue that will face shop owners and possibly residents.

What people don't seem to understand is that it isn't acceptable to use someone's land (who are paying for that land) to escape paying £1 in the public car park.

If people wasn't so selfish, tight and dumb then the type of companies that are now being banned wouldn't have formed in the first place!

Buy a post....problem over...

Archived