Government to ban cowboy clampers

No it is you that is missing the point. Only licenced clampers are currently allowed to clamp vehicles, and only on plots of land where signage warns of the clamping activities.

As I roam the streets of Sheffield I am yet to find a private house with one of these signs. In other words if some idiot wants to park on someone's driveway the home owner can't clamp them now. That includes me, because I don't hold a clamping licence or have signs up. Does it worry me? Not one bit, because it isn't a problem except for folk like you who find the need to argue about it.

You've managed to become confused. I'm not worried about the inability to clamp cars on your property (or mine).

I am worried that removing the right to clamp someone who parks illegally on private property (with the correct signage and license) makes it difficult to stop such parking. Private land owners should have the right to stop people parking there without permission, be that by clamping, towing or just torching the cars. I don't find it difficult to avoid parking where I don't have permission, I don't believe that any else does either, so why shouldn't they be clamped?

Think what you like, but explain how a private land owner should now stop people parking without permission... Or don't, as you don't seem to be very interested in the topic.

If unwanted parkers is a problem a private land owner can put up signs saying parking charged at £20 per day or part of a day and issue tickets. The court s of law will uphold the landowners right to charge anyone who refuses to pay.

No they won't, the general consensus seems to be that such 'tickets' are completely unenforceable. Unlike clamping, which definitely does work.

Parking charges are totally enforcable. It is penalty charges that are imposed for overstaying your alloted time that are not enforceable. Private car parks are allowed to charge but private individuals are not allowed to impose fines.

Archived