Government to ban cowboy clampers

So does this mean that if I own a small shop with a car park in town, there is nothing I can do to stop people from using my car park to do their shopping elsewhere, therefore loosing me business?

I don't think it means there is nothing you can do, just not clamp or tow away.

I don't think it means there is nothing you can do, just not clamp or tow away.

What are the alternatives?

I agree the present companies are over the top, but if people think they can park on private land to avoid paying for parking then companies in city centres all over the country will be in real trouble.

Or another example, I have an underground parking space in town that is on private land. If I come back to find someone has parked there then right now I can go to the concierge who will have it towed away with a large fine. Is this being abolished as well?

Well, this is another great move by Mr Cameron in his bid to end the war on motorists .

First the funding was stopped for speed cameras ,now we will be able to drive safe in the knowledge that we wont be held to ramsom by these clamping parasites .

We may finally have a Government that is motorist friendly .

Long may this continue . Next on the list needs to be the banning of bus lanes and cycle lanes .

Be very careful with your words....what the government giveth the government can also taketh away.

I agree the present companies are over the top, but if people think they can park on private land to avoid paying for parking then companies in city centres all over the country will be in real trouble.

Or another example, I have an underground parking space in town that is on private land. If I come back to find someone has parked there then right now I can go to the concierge who will have it towed away with a large fine. Is this being abolished as well?

The hinged-bollard makers are going to be doing well in situations like that.

Also gate and fence manufacturers.

The problem has been caused by a lack of regulation allowing the cowboy firms to flourish. Perhaps a halfway solution of proper regulation might have been better, with regulated penalties, an official appeals process etc. but that would have been costly to the taxpayer.

The problem has been caused by a lack of regulation allowing the cowboy firms to flourish. Perhaps a halfway solution of proper regulation might have been better, with regulated penalties, an official appeals process etc. but that would have been costly to the taxpayer.

I would have thought that something in the region of a fixed penalty notice that is regulated by the government would be the sensible idea.

You park on private land, you should pay a fine and that fine should be regulated as you say.

The example I used for my situation isn't really the big issue here as you can't get in without a pass anyway. A better example would be Wickes. Do they start putting barriers up and the staff give out an exit code? Seems like great cost if they aren't allowed to protect their business any more.

So does this mean that if I own a small shop with a car park in town, there is nothing I can do to stop people from using my car park to do their shopping elsewhere, therefore loosing me business?

Unless you were a licenced wheeel clamper you can do everything that you could before.

I would suggest putting a sign on your car park stating it is private land for the use of customers and that a fee of £25 will be charged to other vehicles. You are entitled to issue parking tickets and take non payers to court if they don't cough up.

I would suggest putting a sign on your car park stating it is private land for the use of customers and that a fee of £25 will be charged to other vehicles. You are entitled to issue parking tickets and take non payers to court if they don't cough up.

The case would be unlikely to be successful - there hasn't been one that's gone that way. People know that now and some seem to take advantage of that fact.

Payments made for parking on private land are not fines, they are the result of you agreeing to a contract by parking on that land which carries a fee of £X. Note that, assuming adequate signage, by parking there you are agreeing to the fee, so you can't park there and then claim you didn't agree to a fee.

If you then take someone to court, it is for breach of contract, not for failure to pay the "fine".

Also the land owners have no legislation in place to demand the identity of the driver.

Archived