Government to ban cowboy clampers

I feel for the genuine companies trying to do a good job but the industry is guilty of not regulating its self and suffering the consequences.

I was in a town last week and saw a lady come back to he car. She had a pay and display but it was 5 min over due. As she backed her car up a clamper ran up and literally threw the clamp under her back wheels. He then shouted you'll brake your own car you daft *(*&. She had no choice but to stop and he then put the clamp on properly. Is that protecting land from illegal parking? I don't think it is. I think its bullying and extortion.

The clampers got what they deserved and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Or another example, I have an underground parking space in town that is on private land. If I come back to find someone has parked there then right now I can go to the concierge who will have it towed away with a large fine. Is this being abolished as well?

That's a concern I share. Living in a flat with parking for residents that is often used by people visiting the pub next door, the dog track, football ground etc etc.

Does this now mean we (residents) will end up having to either not park in the car park 'owned' by the building or have to fork out more cash for the building owner to install a barrier? :mad:

Does this now mean we (residents) will end up having to either not park in the car park 'owned' by the building or have to fork out more cash for the building owner to install a barrier? :mad:
Either that or start to hope that others show a decent level of courtesy and not park on your land.

The case would be unlikely to be successful - there hasn't been one that's gone that way. People know that now and some seem to take advantage of that fact.

Have you thought of mentioning that to Excel Parking at Broomhill? :huh::huh:

Payments made for parking on private land are not fines, they are the result of you agreeing to a contract by parking on that land which carries a fee of £X. Note that, assuming adequate signage, by parking there you are agreeing to the fee, so you can't park there and then claim you didn't agree to a fee.

If you then take someone to court, it is for breach of contract, not for failure to pay the "fine".

It isn't allowed under UK law for private individuals to impose fines. But like you say the non payment of a clearly stated parking fee is breech of contract. The owners of private land have every right to take legal action to enforce the parking fee and charge the offender for their legitimate costs in recovering that fee.

What isn't allowable is for a company to impose a fine for non payment of that parking fee or indeed running over the alloted time, although I am sure a lot will try to claim they can.

Archived