Government to ban cowboy clampers

ER.. hang on a minute. Most private land owners operate a clearly notified and demarcated clamping policy run by a professional clamping company in order to leave their private property free of clogged up cars -or- in order to run their private businesses. For example, restaurants, clubs, pubs, hotels, golf clubs, hairdressers, etc, have parking spaces allocated for their customers use only on their own privately own property. As long as those spaces are clearly signed that clamping is in use, then what has it got to do with the Government or Local Authorities if private businesses or homeowners excercise their legal right to use a clamping compan in EXACTLY the same way as the councils do in order to deter illegal parking?

As opposed to public highways and council owned land, private landowners have no recourse to use the police or the council to have illegally parked or abandoned cars from their land. Getting those vehicles removed is a trickly legal procedure and also, if they're clogging up your business users parking spaces, losing you business. I had a situation in my last flat where there were so many clogged up and / or abandoned vehicles in the private rear back yard that I couldn't ACCESS my own flat sometimes - and the police nor council would do anything.

Private landowners NEED the right to protect their property where the police and council won't / can't. If someone is STUPID enough to park on private property, signed for clamping, they MUST PAY!

My bold (1) - often a rogue company, and soon to have their licence revoked

My bold (2) - Making law is the business of elected government.

Just as a matter of interest. Does anyone who is currently moaning on here about not being able to clamp illegally parked cars actually clamp illegally parked cars now? If not what on earth are you moaning for?

It means that people have just been effectively given the ok to park wherever and not worry about it. Potentially causing loss of business for small companies, problems with parking for residents with private parking. There's 2 examples for you.

Just as a matter of interest. Does anyone who is currently moaning on here about not being able to clamp illegally parked cars actually clamp illegally parked cars now? If not what on earth are you moaning for?

Maybe the lack of somewhere to park when they legitimately use a private car park?

I know I gave up going to Staples at the bottom of the Moor when people used to park there and then head onto The Moor.

I wouldn't want to hire bully boys, but I'd like to be able to tow a car off my drive so that I can park on it. I assume you're happy with me parking in your drive while I go away for a week?

You weren't talking about a drive - you were talking about spare land that people use for parking on and for which you use a firm of clampers to stop them parking there.

Two completely different things as far as I can see.

As opposed to public highways and council owned land, private landowners have no recourse to use the police or the council to have illegally parked or abandoned cars from their land. Getting those vehicles removed is a trickly legal procedure and also, if they're clogging up your business users parking spaces, losing you business. I had a situation in my last flat where there were so many clogged up and / or abandoned vehicles in the private rear back yard that I couldn't ACCESS my own flat sometimes - and the police nor council would do anything.

Private landowners NEED the right to protect their property where the police and council won't / can't. If someone is STUPID enough to park on private property, signed for clamping, they MUST PAY!

Am I missing something here? How would clamping the cars have helped you in this case? Clamping cars merely means you end up with CLAMPED cars parked there who cant then drive away and clear the space.

Am I missing something here? How would clamping the cars have helped you in this case? Clamping cars merely means you end up with CLAMPED cars parked there who cant then drive away and clear the space.

At the time, yes. Hopefully the driver who was clamped will have learnt and wouldn't do it again.

By which time they could have vacated the space for a paying customer.

Only to return next time they want somewhere to park while they do xyz in that part of town. A clamp + bill = hopefully they wont come back to do it again.

Archived