Dear Forum.. Someone I know has indecent images on their computer

Dear Forum...

I would like some information regarding the police, ISP's etc.

To cut a long story short, I have recently had information that someone I know has a computer full of indecent images of children ranging from the ages 6-12 (ish). I passed this information on to some one close to this person in the hope that they would do what they needed to do re: their children and then report it to the police, I have found out that they haven't done this, but instead pulled their children out of harms reach and then had a word......Yes I know, I am kicking myself inside for not going over their heads and acting a lot sooner, but I didn't and that's something I am going to have to live with. I have now reported him to the police.

Anyway, I would like to know, lets say worst case scenario she warned him, he got rid of pc's / hdd's and went home and put his feet up.

Has he got away scott free? Can the police access everything they need from his ISP and still prosecute, will they dig and dig and dig, will witness statements be enough etc. Please don't tell me he has got away with it, I wouldn't be able to live with myself....

Many thanks for reading and I hope the news is good....

There is no way the police can trace what sites he has visited and what images he downloaded via his ISP. They simply don't have any way of recording such things - ISP's have no more right or ability to view what data packets people are transferring than the PO do to open and read the contents of every letter they deliver.

If he has deleted the images from his hard drive, that data can still be recovered by someone with the right software tools and knowledge (I'm sure the police will have people working for them who are skilled at this) provided he hasn't thoroughly formatted the drive. I guess it depends on how IT-minded this guy is.

The phrase "I have recently had some information that..." scares the hell out of me.

Before you go accusing people, having them arrested, probably publicly, please be SURE you know, not that your mate's mate says.

A certain fatal incident in Sheffield apparently stemmed from someone suspecting the same about the now deceased and so it transpired innocent party.

If they're guilty, then they deserve punishing, but you have to be 100% sure before you start making accusations.

Have you spoken with the police since you first reported him? They may have done something about it. I doubt it, but they may have. And as Moosey said, are you sure?

I know someone who does pc repair. He said you wouldn't believe what some people have on their computers when they bring them in. :o

I think someone from the computer group will tell you that retrieving deleted information from a PC is pretty simple for those in the know.

It's easy for hobbyists, for Police computer forensics people it's routine to retrieve deleted data after people have actually gone to some effort to hide data.

ISPs can (not sure how many do) record some info about sites visited. Police can demand records I believe.

Dear Forum...

I would like some information regarding the police, ISP's etc.

To cut a long story short, I have recently had information that someone I know has a computer full of indecent images of children ranging from the ages 6-12 (ish). I passed this information on to some one close to this person in the hope that they would do what they needed to do re: their children and then report it to the police, I have found out that they haven't done this, but instead pulled their children out of harms reach and then had a word......Yes I know, I am kicking myself inside for not going over their heads and acting a lot sooner, but I didn't and that's something I am going to have to live with. I have now reported him to the police.

Anyway, I would like to know, lets say worst case scenario she warned him, he got rid of pc's / hdd's and went home and put his feet up.

Has he got away scott free? Can the police access everything they need from his ISP and still prosecute, will they dig and dig and dig, will witness statements be enough etc. Please don't tell me he has got away with it, I wouldn't be able to live with myself....

Many thanks for reading and I hope the news is good....

there's a few things firstly will the police take you serious enough to act upon it (i do of course hope they do but been where you are and was put down as a bitter ex, then several years later my ex was convicted of possesing indecent images of children as young as 2, and some other prosecustions)

then secondly theres the if he still has the computer or not, if so they should be able to recover anything thats been deleted, unfortunatly if his got rid of the computer then the police really won't have a lot to go on.

Archived