Has anyone seen "who killed the electric car"

Because electric cars are not the future! They are just as bad for the environment as a petrol car. Where do you think the electric comes from to charge the batteries?

Hydrogen powered cars are the future! Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the univeres, the only thing to come from the exaust would be water & they can charge their batteries as they run, like a petrol engin does today!

...er...

Before you wet yourself with exitement -

Where do we get the hydrogen from?

Has anyone seen "who killed the electric car"

I saw him, it was a guy wearing a suicide vest, dressed in a Burka, he thumbed the car down, jumped in the pasenger and detonated the suicide vest.

That's who killed the electric car.:huh:

As I said before, a power station. I don't understand what you are trying to say! Do you think battry cars would be better for the environment or something?? :huh:

Your post No 26 claimed this "Because electric cars are not the future! They are just as bad for the environment as a petrol car. Where do you think the electric comes from to charge the batteries?".

You seem to think that the power you need to generate Hydrogen is in some way better for the environment than the power needed to charge batteries.

I've not claimed batteries are better for the environment. It's you who appears to be doing the claiming.

Do you think that the production of Hydrogen is intrinsically "greener" than the production of electricity for battery powered vehicles?

I agree that refilling hydrogen tanks might be more convenient than charging batteries. However, you appeared to be claiming that hydrogen powered cars would be better for the environment. It was this assertion that I was questioning.

Your post No 26 claimed this "Because electric cars are not the future! They are just as bad for the environment as a petrol car. Where do you think the electric comes from to charge the batteries?".

You seem to think that the power you need to generate Hydrogen is in some way better for the environment than the power needed to charge batteries.

I've not claimed batteries are better for the environment. It's you who appears to be doing the claiming.

Do you think that the production of Hydrogen is intrinsically "greener" than the production of electricity for battery powered vehicles?

I agree that refilling hydrogen tanks might be more convenient than charging batteries. However, you appeared to be claiming that hydrogen powered cars would be better for the environment. It was this assertion that I was questioning.

Its worse than that - even with green electicity produced, the production of the batteries isn't a clean process. Toxic chemicals and heavy metals to produce and mine....and disposal/recycling at end of life.

Don't get me wrong, I think we'll all be driving hybrids in less than 10 years and fully switched to electric in less than 20. I genuinely don't think the car companies are against it....they'll sell cars with any power plant. And they can sell us spares. we'll still need parts when we crash them. We'll still need to service them. We'll still need tyres and brake pads. Its only the power plant that is changing, and most of the resistance to that switch is us customers.

which just makes it worse. As I said there was a company making better batteries which got bought by the oil companies.

The people leasing the cars had them for 3 years and loved them. GM and the other companies were required to create a certain percentage of emission free cars and fought tooth and nail to get rid of the legislation. They had to prove there was no market for the cars so they didn't advertise them.

ps the car companies want your car to do a decent number of miles and then fail, they make money by selling parts and new cars. The electric car has very few parts that can fail therefore it will make them less money!

I agree that GM and other companies WERE resistant to certain legislation that pushed them to producing more fuel efficient cars in a timeframe they felt they could not achieve. And in the last 20 years, American buyers have continued to buy cars with 5 litre plus petrol engines...particularly in trucks. The thing I don't get is the reluctance in America to switching to a better diesel fuel. Their fuel doesn't allow them to take advantage of the best diesel technology available. BMW, Merc and VW don't sell their fuel efficient and excellent performance engines in the USA. Just think how the diesel car has changed in this country over the last 20 years.

You last statement is wrong I believe - electric cars won't reduce the amount comsumers spend on parts. Probably the opposite. Petrol and diesel engines don't often fail. The newer electric ones probably will fail in much greater numbers. As far as servicing....I've got a petrol Ford focus, and had it for nearly 100,000 miles. all I've ever replaced engine wise is oil and spark plugs....plus one cambelt - total cost less than £100. I've replaced one set of brake discs, and 2 or 3 sets of pads. I've had 4 new tyres on it. Not much money made out of me in maintenance. In the future manufacturers are talking about selling you the car, but leasing the battery pack with insurance, because of high failure rate and high replacement cost.

I agree that GM and other companies WERE resistant to certain legislation that pushed them to producing more fuel efficient cars in a timeframe they felt they could not achieve. And in the last 20 years, American buyers have continued to buy cars with 5 litre plus petrol engines...particularly in trucks. The thing I don't get is the reluctance in America to switching to a better diesel fuel. Their fuel doesn't allow them to take advantage of the best diesel technology available. BMW, Merc and VW don't sell their fuel efficient and excellent performance engines in the USA. Just think how the diesel car has changed in this country over the last 20 years.

You last statement is wrong I believe - electric cars won't reduce the amount comsumers spend on parts. Probably the opposite. Petrol and diesel engines don't often fail. The newer electric ones probably will fail in much greater numbers. As far as servicing....I've got a petrol Ford focus, and had it for nearly 100,000 miles. all I've ever replaced engine wise is oil and spark plugs....plus one cambelt - total cost less than £100. I've replaced one set of brake discs, and 2 or 3 sets of pads. I've had 4 new tyres on it. Not much money made out of me in maintenance. In the future manufacturers are talking about selling you the car, but leasing the battery pack with insurance, because of high failure rate and high replacement cost.

well all I know is from the engineer servicing the electric car and the scientists from the documentary, they disagreed with you, although I know it is biased but then so are you.

Its worse than that - even with green electicity produced, the production of the batteries isn't a clean process. Toxic chemicals and heavy metals to produce and mine....and disposal/recycling at end of life.

Don't get me wrong, I think we'll all be driving hybrids in less than 10 years and fully switched to electric in less than 20. I genuinely don't think the car companies are against it....they'll sell cars with any power plant. And they can sell us spares. we'll still need parts when we crash them. We'll still need to service them. We'll still need tyres and brake pads. Its only the power plant that is changing, and most of the resistance to that switch is us customers.

And the Oil Companies

• 4 weeks later...

Archived