Nether Edge - problems with youths

shaky99

I was once driving down Abbeydale Rd and some youths thought they could just cross the Rd and I would stop. I bullied my way by them making them stop as I passed one kicked my car door. I stopped and got out about 5 of them ran straight at me. I jumped back in the car and shot off. I'm not usually one to stand down from a confrontation but I was not getting beaten up by 5 chavs for a dented door.

Who do they think they are?

I was once driving down Abbeydale Rd and some youths thought they could just cross the Rd and I would stop. I bullied my way by them making them stop as I passed one kicked my car door. I stopped and got out about 5 of them ran straight at me. I jumped back in the car and shot off. I'm not usually one to stand down from a confrontation but I was not getting beaten up by 5 chavs for a dented door.

Who do they think they are?

I would have kept that one quiet.

Most of these posts on this thread seem to be of people that live in or around the area of Nether edge and Sharrow or in the surrounding areas .From what I have read it seems to me that everyone recognises that there is anti social behaviour in young adults in the area and that something should be done. But should we not try to understand why this behaviour is strife in the first place for example is the lack of local opportunities, educational support, lack of ambition, no local activities, or lack of identity specifically cultural identity. Maybe if the route cases were to be identified the local community might be able to deal with the problem in a more effective way then vigilante action. Just a naive thought.

I lived in Nether Edge for 5 years. On Friday it will be one year since I moved out.

It really began to get me down that a lot of people seemed to assume that I was a bad person because I was a white person. We had a lot of verbal abuse for absolutely no reason and I had eggs thrown at my house. I also had my car deliberately scratched (though I didn't see who did that).

The children in the neighbourhood dropped litter a lot, so the place looked a mess, which is a shame with the nice trees and the big handsome houses. On one occasion I saw a child dropping litter and because he was only small I decided to say something. I picked it up and encouraged him to use a bin because we all had to live in the area. He looked utterly puzzled and asked if I was 'the litter picker upper'. The adult he was with didn't even look at me, let alone say anything. I put it in the bin myself, for the hunderdth time, it seemed. I must have rung the council about the terrible litter loads of times. They generally came and sorted it, but it just seemed to encourage children to drop more litter.

When I spoke to councillors about feeling alienated in my own street they suggested getting involved in community schemes and things, but I felt sufficiently unwanted by a section of the population that I didn't feel I could enage in such things. Maybe there are valid cultural reasons why people refused to make eye contact when they passed me in the street, but, frankly, it made for a hostile atmosphere. Moving was perhaps a more cowardly (and definitiely a more expensive) option, but I have no regrets - the last year I have felt much happier to be out of there. My new neighbours are a mixed bunch but everyone seems to be polite and considerate. I don't have to put up with noise at all hours and the children seem go to bed at a reasonable time so as not to be tired in school the following day. Most people put litter and household rubbish in the bin too.

I did meet some friendly people in Nether Edge, but even if it's a minority (and often children going unchecked) who are antisocial, it can make the place feel unpleasant. The one time I did tackle older children (after the egg incident) there was no way anyone was going to tell me the kid's name so I could follow it up. Some of the children appear to be being brought up to assume people 'like us' are to be disrespected. It's a shame - I do try to be open-minded, but they never took the time to find that out.

I lived in Nether Edge for 5 years. On Friday it will be one year since I moved out.

It really began to get me down that a lot of people seemed to assume that I was a bad person because I was a white person. We had a lot of verbal abuse for absolutely no reason and I had eggs thrown at my house. I also had my car deliberately scratched (though I didn't see who did that).

The children in the neighbourhood dropped litter a lot, so the place looked a mess, which is a shame with the nice trees and the big handsome houses. On one occasion I saw a child dropping litter and because he was only small I decided to say something. I picked it up and encouraged him to use a bin because we all had to live in the area. He looked utterly puzzled and asked if I was 'the litter picker upper'. The adult he was with didn't even look at me, let alone say anything. I put it in the bin myself, for the hunderdth time, it seemed. I must have rung the council about the terrible litter loads of times. They generally came and sorted it, but it just seemed to encourage children to drop more litter.

When I spoke to councillors about feeling alienated in my own street they suggested getting involved in community schemes and things, but I felt sufficiently unwanted by a section of the population that I didn't feel I could enage in such things. Maybe there are valid cultural reasons why people refused to make eye contact when they passed me in the street, but, frankly, it made for a hostile atmosphere. Moving was perhaps a more cowardly (and definitiely a more expensive) option, but I have no regrets - the last year I have felt much happier to be out of there. My new neighbours are a mixed bunch but everyone seems to be polite and considerate. I don't have to put up with noise at all hours and the children seem go to bed at a reasonable time so as not to be tired in school the following day. Most people put litter and household rubbish in the bin too.

I did meet some friendly people in Nether Edge, but even if it's a minority (and often children going unchecked) who are antisocial, it can make the place feel unpleasant. The one time I did tackle older children (after the egg incident) there was no way anyone was going to tell me the kid's name so I could follow it up. Some of the children appear to be being brought up to assume people 'like us' are to be disrespected. It's a shame - I do try to be open-minded, but they never took the time to find that out.

The whole country will be the same in 10yrs time.

Archived