Nether Edge - problems with youths

shaky99

hi danny, i admit i was drunk, it was sat night, merrily strolling home, there were to of them, i was not in a state to defend myself, i have lived here for 6 years, never had a problem, but this has rocked me, especially the disgusting attitude from the police.

I'm always suspicious of people who claim to have been attacked in the street for no reason. I've walked through all sorts of dodgy areas of Sheffield at all times of day and night and have never been attacked.

IMO, people get attacked in the street for many reasons - they may be a target for muggers, they may be perceived as a member of a rival gang, they may just be targeted because they have an inherently aggressive manner.

But why would anyone just go up to a complete stranger, punch them and then run off? It doesn't make sense.

Seems like we're not getting the full story from the OP here. If you go out and get drunk and then get into a fight on your way home, you've only yourself to blame!

I'm always suspicious of people who claim to have been attacked in the street for no reason. I've walked through all sorts of dodgy areas of Sheffield at all times of day and night and have never been attacked.

IMO, people get attacked in the street for many reasons - they may be a target for muggers, they may be perceived as a member of a rival gang, they may just be targeted because they have an inherently aggressive manner.

But why would anyone just go up to a complete stranger, punch them and then run off? It doesn't make sense.

Seems like we're not getting the full story from the OP here. If you go out and get drunk and then get into a fight on your way home, you've only yourself to blame!

Sounds like you have been lucky then, thre same as me. Just because neither you or I have been randomly attacked does not mean it does not happen, what will be your excuse if it does ever happens to you? I guess you must have been asking for it.

:loopy:

I find the police's response to your attack rather disturbing considering the broad consensus that this sort of thing is on the increase in the area. As so many of the other locals have remarked, the decline has been unmistakable. It angers me that the trend isn't being taken seriously by the police. It simply gives the scrotes an even bigger feeling that they're untouchable. I sometimes worry that the tensions will boil over along racial lines, but for now it's enough that what had been a comparatively safe area is becoming increasingly no-go.

SYP read these forums so let's ask.

What are you doing about the increasing number of violent, racist attacks in the abbeydale/nether edge area?

I think the police might need facts rather than rumour and hearsay before accepting your unfounded suggestion that violent attacks are increasing. And how do you know they're racist? The victims could have been white for all you know!

I think the police might need facts rather than rumour and hearsay before accepting your unfounded suggestion that violent attacks are increasing. And how do you know they're racist? The victims could have been white for all you know!

I'm guessing that the victim in this thread is white and as for the attackers we will have to see if Shaky99 is willing to tell us.

Having moved to the area in the past 6 months, I was told that Nether Edge is a pleasant area with nice houses and good transport links.

I too have suffered verbal abuse on Empire Rd, and witnessed youths being rude to customers and workers in and outside the local sainsburys. Together with the recent attacks in the area it paints a worrying picture of the area and society in general.

I will certainly not be renewing my tenancy and will be moving away from the area

Having moved to the area in the past 6 months, I was told that Nether Edge is a pleasant area with nice houses and good transport links.

I too have suffered verbal abuse on Empire Rd, and witnessed youths being rude to customers and workers in and outside the local sainsburys. Together with the recent attacks in the area it paints a worrying picture of the area and society in general.

I will certainly not be renewing my tenancy and will be moving away from the area

I feel for you. I've lived in Sheffield all my life and if it wasn't for this forum I would have thought Nether Edge as a middle class, leafy suburb.

hi danny, i admit i was drunk, it was sat night, merrily strolling home, there were to of them, i was not in a state to defend myself, i have lived here for 6 years, never had a problem, but this has rocked me, especially the disgusting attitude from the police.

I know how you feel mate. It's happened to me before (sadly, on more than one occasion, prior to me 'filling out').

It's a horrible, indignant feeling which makes you angry but try your best not to let it get you down.

Like voodoodanny says, try and class it as one of those things and move on.

I feel for you. I've lived in Sheffield all my life and if it wasn't for this forum I would have thought Nether Edge as a middle class, leafy suburb.

That's because there are two Nether Edges. There's the terrace housing alongside Abbeydale Road and up the hill and then there's the richer leafy suburbs on each side of Montgomery Road, around the old hospital and towards Brincliffe Edge.

It's the redbrick areas that seem to have the recent crime problems, not surprisingly. You wouldn't expect the leafy suburbs of large Victorian mansions to be particularly crime ridden as the people who live their are too well off to bother themselves with committing crime.

Archived