Nether Edge - problems with youths

shaky99

I live just off union road and to be honest havent noticed anything different, when i go out there arent any groups of kids or youths hanging around this area - thankfully!!....

I think you are just far enough into the nice area of Netheredge to avoid most problems. Have a walk arould Sheldon Rd, Empire Rd, Abbeydale Rd & Chippinghouse Rd after dark to really get a feel for the area. Also I'm told the new park on Broadfield Rd is also very good after dark!

That probably does have something to do with it. The police think nothing of waving their batons at football fans who are simply walking to a stadium but won't do anything about these kids randomly attacking normal people.

i mean what can the police do to stop this the criminals just get away with it when facing the judge or they can intimidate the the witneess to drop charges.

this is aclose nit family area of uneducated petty drug runners with a an eye for picking on the vonrable.

i think the police need to put in place a strict asbo control on groups of youths hanging together, in this area.

i mean what can the police do to stop this the criminals just get away with it when facing the judge or they can intimidate the the witneess to drop charges.

this is aclose nit family area of uneducated petty drug runners with a an eye for picking on the vonrable.

i think the police need to put in place a strict asbo control on groups of youths hanging together, in this area.

There are some good businesses in the area I would like to use, but choose not to, as I am deterred by the gangs of foul-mouthed youths that hang around in the area.

There are some good businesses in the area I would like to use, but choose not to, as I am deterred by the gangs of foul-mouthed youths that hang around in the area.

Same here, I used to frequent Empire News daily. It's a good shop and the guy and his son who run it are fine people.

However, it started to feel like everytime I went there there was some incident or other going on outside and I just decided to go elsewhere.

It's quite evident that aside from the incidents, part of the problem is those with the attitudes/opinions/thoughts along the lines of "there must have been some reason", "must have prevoked/asked for it", "it's no worse here than anywhere else".......It all adds up to "brushing it under the carpet".

quiet the opposite i think the people in s7 are more vocal about the problems becuase they know its on the rise and its also the minority and not the norm, hence they voice their concerns

i know several people that live in other areas with so called "bad reps" ie arbourthorne, manor etc and they have experiences of some stuff that scares the sh#t out of me, it also happens far more frequently but no-one reports it as they can't be bothered or for fear of recrimination.

as someone who lives right in the middle of s7 i can tell you that it is a nice enough area but there are just some mindless out of control people who are hell bent on dragging others and the area down and these people need addressing asap

i think the earlier point about the police being warey due to the ethnic diversity of the area is actually a valid one. who give a monkeys what race you are, abuse and violence should not be tollerated by anyone from anyone full stop.

I am the Inspector on the Broomhill and Sharrow Safer neighbourhood team. My post isn't intended to challenge anyones comments or views and i'm unable to commit to an on-line exchange as work comittments mean I can only check Forum postings periodically.

If I could ask the gentleman who was assaulted (Shaky 99) to make contact with me. I give you my personal assurance that I will look into the incident and the issue of how you were dealt with by police officers who attended. Please ring 0114 202020 and ask to be put though to Insp Ian Roberts (Broomhill and Sharrow SNA).

I would also ask anyone who has been the victim of a crime or anti-social behaviour in the area to contact my team via our general switchboard number which is 0114 2202020. The matter will be logged and directed through to officers on my team to deal with. I would also invite any local residents to attend the next Partners and communities together meeting (PACT) at the Old Sharrow School at 6pm on Wedneday the 1st of September. During this meeting you can raise any concerns you have and help to direct how police resoures are deployed in your area.

Police and partners have been making genuine and sustained efforts to deal with issues in the area but I readily accept we can and should always look to do more.

UPDATE:

Hi,

First i would like to thank you all for your comments and advice.

I had a knock on the door tonight, 2 police officers came to visit.

Well i have never had my opinion of slack attitude turned round to positive so quick in all my life.

First they apologised for the delay in reponce, had a good chat, and as luck would have it, they know who wolloped me and are going to visit said individual very shortly

Thanks all, will let you know when i have more info.

UPDATE:

Hi,

First i would like to thank you all for your comments and advice.

I had a knock on the door tonight, 2 police officers came to visit.

Well i have never had my opinion of slack attitude turned round to positive so quick in all my life.

First they apologised for the delay in reponce, had a good chat, and as luck would have it, they know who wolloped me and are going to visit said individual very shortly

Thanks all, will let you know when i have more info.

Nice one mate. Glad they are taking it serious. You shouldn't have to live in fear of that!

Archived