Any Photos Or Pics Of Bendibuses? Esp The 1st White MAN Ones

Dinkychink

Any Photos Or Pics Of Bendibuses? Esp The 1st White MAN Ones .

I Remember The 1st Ones Borrowed From Germany?And They Were On Trial But They Werent Up To The Job?

The Newer Bendibuses Had Rear Wheel Steering To Help With The Sharp Bends Around The City Clipper Route Which I Remember Used To Be Free To Use.

I Remember In The Transport Executive Shop Under The Hole In The Road They Had A Model Of One Of These Bendibuses And Now For The Life Of Me I Car nt Find One.

Those Were The Days When Ur Could jump On The City Clipper If Ur Were Bored N Nowt T Do And Ride Around Town For Free! And If Ur Went Anywhere It Was 2p On Another bus.

I Remember Travelling Between Mansfield And Sheffield For £1-00 And That Included 3! Buses:o

Can,t help with pictures, but as an ex bus inspector I can tell you that the first M.A.N buses we had were very good, they did have rear wheel stearing, this was a conventional front axle linked to the centre turntable, provided that the rear wheels of the centre section cleared an obstruction the rear trailer wheels would clear by exactly the same distance.

They had a powerful 12ltr engine, and performed very well.

The buses which were made by British Leyland, these were basicly two Leyland National lash ups, were rubbish, they used to sag in the middle, and the center section often grounded when going over poor road.

The final buses used before the finish of bendies in Sheffield were fine and a great success, buses very similar to these can still be seen operating in York.

I can testify to the fact though that they were a pig to reverse, this was an acquired art, unlika an artic lorry, because of the rear wheel stearing arangement, they had to be started off on the complete opposite lock, I made some right ****-ups when first trying to reverse.

Thanks M8...Most Gratefull For Your Info..

I Remember The 2nd Lot Of Bendibuses Coming Out And All The Schollchildren Had To Enter A Competion To Name Them?

God They Looked Modern Then But How Dated They Look Now And What A Shame To See The City Clipper Route Abolished..I Have A Photo Too Of A Bendibus City Clipper On Pond St Old Exchange If Anyones Intrested.

Remember Waiting For The Bus And Watching The Postal Bags Go Round And The Roxy Sign Trailing Round.

I can't help with the photos, but I do have a question about the bendibuses. Does anyone know when they finally got the boot?

I remember they used to be on the 214 (or maybe 221) route, which used to go past Richmond College, then on to Manor Top and into town. That was about 1989, I think.

Those routes also used to have those posh double decker buses - I think they were called Fastline buses. Excellent comfy seats!

Archived