What do you expect in a pub

My local pub has just been refurbished and it looks really nice but slightly basic so it lead me to thinking what do other people expect in a pub

or what would you like to see in your local or any pub?

Is there anything that would bring you to a certain pub rather than an other?

the main reason I go to a pub is because of the beer, if it's from one of the big brewing companies or the owner can't run a cellar properly and look after the product then I'm not that interested no matter what else they have

If it doesn't have huge SKY SPORTS adverts draped from the walls of the outside (or England flags) then it gets me through the door.

Then its the choice of beers. If there's no ales (guest or regular) then I'm back out the door. Note to publicans - Guinness and John Smiths are not acceptable.

the main reason I go to a pub is because of the beer, if it's from one of the big brewing companies or the owner can't run a cellar properly and look after the product then I'm not that interested no matter what else they have

I totally agree but would go further.

My favourite local pub is the Coach & Horses at Dronfield. The pub was until a few years ago a complete shed and in the process of being closed down. It is now in the hands of Sheffield Football Club and has been tastefully decorated without resorting to the standard pub kit and cheap fittings. It also has half a dozen Thornbridge beers, "proper" cider, and imported beers (not filth brewed here under licence). Food is excellent and freshly produced. Staff are excellent and friendly. No TV. No Juke box. No chavs. No quizzes. Near perfect

It is a shining example for anyone looking to turn around a failing pub.

Nearly forgot. They sell Yorkshire crisps

I totally agree but would go further.

My favourite local pub is the Coach & Horses at Dronfield. The pub was until a few years ago a complete shed and in the process of being closed down. It is now in the hands of Sheffield Football Club and has been tastefully decorated without resorting to the standard pub kit and cheap fittings. It also has half a dozen Thornbridge beers, "proper" cider, and imported beers (not filth brewed here under licence). Food is excellent and freshly produced. Staff are excellent and friendly. No TV. No Juke box. No chavs. No quizzes. Near perfect

It is a shining example for anyone looking to turn around a failing pub.

Nearly forgot. They sell Yorkshire crisps

It is no coincidence that the Coach and horses has won Camra regional pub of the year for two years running, or that the Kelham Island Tavern has won Champion Pub of Great Britain 2 years running as well.

Archived