Any Woffindin's/Woofindin's?

Blade73

And any other variant of the spelling.

Just wonder if there were any descendants of the Woffindin's from Ecclesfield/Rotherham/Sheffield areas knocking about.

I'm descended from a Mary Elizabeth Woffindin born about 1861 Tinsley, married to a Joseph Smith in 1896 lived at Parkwood Road.

Mary Elizabeth's father was John Woffindin born in Masbro, married to a Sophia Hodgkinson in 1860. He was a publican in Rotherham and a Eating House manager at Snig Hill in the 1880s.

John's father was a Joseph Woffindin a canal lock keeper and excavator from Rotherham

Cheers

One of my teachers at Walkley County (50s,60s) was Christine Woffindin (or Woofindin), I believe she died a few years ago.

You wouldn't believe the different ways of spelling the name! Woof or Woff then inden, indin or enden. I think a few of em settled in Ecclesfield, Grenoside so not too far a trek to Walkley. Not sure about a Christine but she's probably not on the censuses from 1901 and earlier that I have. Don't think there were too many in Sheffield tho.

Cheers

I forgot to add that around 1958 she lived in one of the houses on Manchester Rd, on the left before the bend as you approach the Bell Hagg. I think she lived with her mother then, don't think she was married.

I'm guessing her mother (well husband as he will have been the Woffindin) will be of the generation I might be able link with.

Cheers