Any Woffindin's/Woofindin's?

Blade73

I work for a Housing Trust and we manage George Woofindin Almshouses at Hunters Bar.
The Woofindin Almshouses were built in 1898-99 with money given by a Sheffield cutlery manufacturer, George Woofindin (1811-1895). He also paid for the Woofindin Convalescent Home in Whiteley Woods. This later became Whiteley Wood (psychiatric) Clinic. Needless to say, the building has now been converted into luxury apartments...

Harry Wooffinden (1911-2002) was a regulator with Sheffield Transport Department; he lived at Totley.

And any other variant of the spelling.

Just wonder if there were any descendants of the Woffindin's from Ecclesfield/Rotherham/Sheffield areas knocking about.

I'm descended from a Mary Elizabeth Woffindin born about 1861 Tinsley, married to a Joseph Smith in 1896 lived at Parkwood Road.

Mary Elizabeth's father was John Woffindin born in Masbro, married to a Sophia Hodgkinson in 1860. He was a publican in Rotherham and a Eating House manager at Snig Hill in the 1880s.

John's father was a Joseph Woffindin a canal lock keeper and excavator from Rotherham

Cheers

Hi My father was named John Woffindin and had family in Chapeltown and Grenoside...We lived in Walkley from1947 till I emigrated to NZ in 1968. Still a few of us still around. E mail address trevorandanette@yahoo.com

Hi My father was named John Woffindin and had family in Chapeltown and Grenoside...We lived in Walkley from1947 till I emigrated to NZ in 1968. Still a few of us still around. E mail address trevorandanette@yahoo.com

Just sent you an email Trevor.

There is a John Woffindin who was a butcher I believe in grenoside and a Oscar who became a policeman.

Hi ..you are right about the origin on the name,the oldest record is from the 16th cent and from a small hamlet in Lancashire. All the people with that surname and all the different spellings must be related if we could only trace them back far enough.Have you done any digging in to your past?

Hi,

A friend just contacted me on facebook prompting me to look at your thread. I'm a Woffindin (Joanne). There is my mum, Sandra and my sister Tricia (now Barker). My dad (James Fredrick Woffindin) died when we were little, but he was adopted by the Woffindin family any way. So technically i'm not a real Woffindin, iv'e just been stuck with the name for 34 years!! I've had some bizarre spellings of it over the years and some not so great nick names too. When i'm asked for my surname I just go straight to spelling it out and then pronounce it (or just use my partners name for ease!)

There are nat many of us spelt 'Woffindin' in the area but if you go on face book you will find loads.

Jo

Hi Jo...know what you mean, but there are many many more out there worse than Woffindin. I think it has a lot of history behind it, if we could only dig far enough back. What part of the country are you in? E mail me and will give you more information....trevorandannette@yahoo.com

Regards Trevor

Hi ..you are right about the origin on the name,the oldest record is from the 16th cent and from a small hamlet in Lancashire. All the people with that surname and all the different spellings must be related if we could only trace them back far enough.Have you done any digging in to your past?

Always planned to but never seem to get the time, one day perhaps.