Immigration = Youth Unemployment

A lot of Eastern Europeans are being exploited by agencies essentially working for WALMART.

The question is, are these immigrants that are being exploited, taking our exploitative jobs. Surely we should be ripping off our own?

Youth unemployment is very high.

Don't know where you've got that information from but I'm very interested in the source. I know of Eastern European workgangs that work on the farm for the NMW but on top of that they are provided with food and shelter for a small cost. These employers are registered and continually monitored.

Don't know where you've got that information from but I'm very interested in the source. I know of Eastern European workgangs that work on the farm for the NMW but on top of that they are provided with food and shelter for a small cost. These employers are registered and continually monitored.

And HMRC knows full well that agencies often register workers as mobile workers and illegally abuse travel to work schemes via salary sacrifice schemes, intened to benefit the working poor.

It's obvious without the need for reports to realise that if there are only a limited number of jobs there will be less opportunities for natives of this country if others from outside are coming in to take them.

If we import skilled workers it reduces the need for companies to run apprenticeship schemes.

As for the oft quoted opinion that only immigrants will do certain jobs, I think I remember correctly that when I was young an unemployed person was offered 3 jobs and if none was taken unemployment money was stopped.

It's obvious without the need for reports to realise that if there are only a limited number of jobs there will be less opportunities for natives of this country if others from outside are coming in to take them.

But the report shows the exact opposite of this. There are actually more people working than there would be if no immigrants had come in.

I'm surprised that anyone should be surprised that immigration has had a depressing effect on youth employment, especially during a period of recession. It's all very well to dismiss the Migration Watch conclusions out of hand as valueless but have those who do so any statistics that would be deemed more reliable ?

The govt....the ONS ? Do they care ? Do they dare publish accurate figures for the situation ?

With hundreds of thousands more jobs shortly to be sacrificed on the altar of deficit reduction the situation will very soon become far worse than it is now.

perhaps a more useful set of questions are:

why do employers allegedly favour immigrants over indigenous youth?

presumably MW's answer boils down to ejecting the immigrants, in which case, would this damage our economic recovery as employer would only be able to employ the second best candidates?

Archived