How good is your reading and writing.

This is pretty good,seen things like this before on the internet but was curious,can anybody not read it?..I can read right it no problem as if everything is spelled correctly.Just shows how the mind works.So I guess accurate spelling isn't all that important after all,other than it bothers alot of people on here.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it

rscheearch - what is that word?

Also, how come every time I see that paragraph posted somewhere I still have to read it through. You would think after the 10th or so time I would realise!

I don't think it proves that accurate spelling isn't important, all those words contain the right letters just in the wrong order. If you spelt it wrong you would have other letters in there that would cause confusion.

Just shows how the mind works.So I guess accurate spelling isn't all that important after all

It's interesting, but it isn't an excuse for bad spelling. It's an example of how the human mind works when we read, and how we can sort randomised letters into the original words.

How many people at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy write their essays like this, do you think?

This is interesting and does have quite far reaching consequences.

I get so miffed when I hear the BBC, Daily Mail etc banging on about 'Synthetic phonics' as though they were the be all and end all of learning to read.

Yes, phonics are very important, and have to be taught - and quite rightly are.

But learning to read well requires other techniques also.

This sort of item, of which there are many, prove it.

This is interesting and does have quite far reaching consequences.

I get so miffed when I hear the BBC, Daily Mail etc banging on about 'Synthetic phonics' as though they were the be all and end all of learning to read.

Yes, phonics are very important, and have to be taught - and quite rightly are.

But learning to read well requires other techniques also.

This sort of item, of which there are many, prove it.

Doesn't it just show that an adult who has already learnt to read and acquired a phenomenal vocabulary can recognise the jumbled letters as the words they have read thousands of times?

Very true funkymiss.

Practice makes perfect and as someone who has taught himself to read, write and speak Hindi, nothing but practice (and thus, repetition) makes you competent in any language. Only after many years of learning Hindi and its Devangari script am I reaching the point where I'm recognising words as opposed to reading each separate letter.

I wonder if the above would work in another script, be it Devangari or something even more complex like Chinese?

Archived