Adding an 'S' to names of pubs, bars and such..

I'm not sure if this a regional or a national thing, a young or an old thing, but has anyone else noticed some people's constant tendency to add a letter S to the ends of pub/bar/shop names and so on?

For example:

New York, New York (old Rotherham dive) becomes New York, New Yorks;

The Bluecoat is often called The Bluecoats;

Ritzy (awful Lincoln club) was always Ritzys;

...and I've just seen a thread about Feline Tattoos, off Eccy Road, where the poster referred to it as Felines!

This probably seems like a pointless, petty thread from someone with too much time on their hands - and maybe it is! - but I'm interested in language. Does anyone else do this or know of places that often acquire an erroneous 'S'?

I'm not sure if this a regional or a national thing, a young or an old thing, but has anyone else noticed some people's constant tendency to add a letter S to the ends of pub/bar/shop names and so on?

For example:

New York, New York (old Rotherham dive) becomes New York, New Yorks;

The Bluecoat is often called The Bluecoats;

Ritzy (awful Lincoln club) was always Ritzys;

...and I've just seen a thread about Feline Tattoos, off Eccy Road, where the poster referred to it as Felines!

This probably seems like a pointless, petty thread from someone with too much time on their hands - and maybe it is! - but I'm interested in language. Does anyone else do this or know of places that often acquire an erroneous 'S'?

Definitely to much time voodoodannys.

I'd always assumed it was because of the possessive 's', from a time when the name of a business (often) reflected the name of the owner of said business.

I wondered that too, it's interesting - if that's the case - that a historical language trait like that has endured and is now commonplace in the way the latest generation speaks. I also wondered if it was reserved for places people regarded affectionately too; somehow giving it a familiar, personal quality.

I'd always assumed it was because of the possessive 's', from a time when the name of a business (often) reflected the name of the owner of said business.

Clearly the original poster is not very familiar with the english language.

When I see the car that belongs to my Brother, due to the rules of English I can call it "My Brother's car" or "my brother's".

I am using an apostrophe and an "s" to indicate possession.

Likewise if I am describing going around to his house and his name is Larry, I can say I am going around to "Larry's"

When a pub is named after a person such as "Fagan's" Then it is correct to say that I am thinking of going to fagan's on saturday night.

I am amazed that someone does not know such simple gramatical rules, how do you manage to get someone to employ you ?

The one that irritates me is The Roxy, as it was, being referred to as Roxy's. The new owners are even having a night soon called "Memories of Roxy's" (or something similar). I'd have hoped they might have made the effort to get it right. But then I'm uber-grumpy this week so little things are annoying me.

Archived