Adding an 'S' to names of pubs, bars and such..

The name of a pub (or club or building) is not the name of a person that owns the building though. Would you say "I've just seen Larry's" when in fact you have just seen Larry (your brother)?

Or "I'm going to City Hall's" when you mean "I am going to the city hall"?

I don't think the possessive 's makes any sense when applied to the name of a venue.

You'd say "I've been to Larry's", if you'd visited his house, the possessive s would refer to his house, unless he owned several buildings.

If it's not the name of the person, it's usually the name of the company that owns the venue. Otherwise it makes no sense.

You wouldn't say City Hall's or Sheffield Arena's because they are the names of the buildings, rather than the venue operators.

Roxy's Nightclub, shortened to Roxy's makes perfect sense, it's the nightclub that belongs to Roxy, nightclub is redundant because that's what they were known for.

If it's not the name of the person, it's usually the name of the company that owns the venue. Otherwise it makes no sense.

You wouldn't say City Hall's or Sheffield Arena's because they are the names of the buildings, rather than the venue operators.

Roxy's Nightclub, shortened to Roxy's makes perfect sense, it's the nightclub that belongs to Roxy, nightclub is redundant because that's what they were known for.

Exactly right.

It would do. But the massive sign on the building said "The Roxy". Not "Roxy's Nightclub", or "Roxy's". I'd just always assumed that if the sign said "The Roxy", that's what it was. I know many people referred to it as "Roxy's" and always wondered why when it was self-titled "The Roxy".

Maybe it's just a colloquialism, then. I often ask friends if they are "heading Cremornewards" for instance, rather than the much more long winded "Would you, perchance, be gracing us with your attendance at the hostelry known as The Cremorne?"

Well that is an entirely different technique. You are making up a new adjective from a compound of words. It is also correct, perfectly respectful and understandable. Just like you might say I am on the bus heading townwards. I am sure it would be understood in the whole of the UK.

It would do. But the massive sign on the building said "The Roxy". Not "Roxy's Nightclub", or "Roxy's". I'd just always assumed that if the sign said "The Roxy", that's what it was. I know many people referred to it as "Roxy's" and always wondered why when it was self-titled "The Roxy".

Actually the sign said "barry noble's Roxy" and those of us that are old enough, remember that radio hallam was full of terrible adverts for it.

Later I think it just said "roxy" when Barry Noble died.

Well that is an entirely different technique. You are making up a new adjective from a compound of words. It is also correct, perfectly respectful and understandable. Just like you might say I am on the bus heading townwards. I am sure it would be understood in the whole of the UK.

Exactly, and just as in the OP, I'd have thought? ;)

Maybe well educated and qualified, but perhaps not exactly great on the understanding issue.

What's to understand, other than you clearly seek conflict on a public forum by overzealously criticising people's grammar? Do you honestly think that's constructive?

Oh, and Muddycoffee, I trust you are familiar with the adage "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", because I can see at least two errors in your signature. ;)

Archived