How to run a car boot??

Hi all,

I have been given the task of running a car boot in september for our cricket club. We have a good idea of how to advertise as its pretty simple but are there other things we need to know??

It will be in the car park of our club.....do we need any sort of licence?

Going to charge around £5 per car....seem reasonable?

Any other hints/tips etc would be greatly appreciated!!!

License is the key issue and you need this 6 weeks before the event if in Sheffield.

So in short legally it appears you can't do one in September unless you can get the license early?

Watch out for the hidden cost if its bad weather and your cricket club is holding the event on a field as this could cause damage. I think £5 is too cheap as 100 cars at £5 is only £500 so unless you are making money elsewhere I ask is it worth it?

Also make sure you have the landlords permission to run the event on the land and sign post speed restrictions and have signs saying people/cars especially enter your grounds at there own risk.

I have ran our school one over the last two years. Yes you should sort out the licence prompto with the council. Sheffield council request that you put on any advertisements that it is run in conjunction with Sheff city council.

we collected money on the way in - its easier than going around remembering who has paid and who has not.

We charged £6 this year, but watch out for vans - many places charge extra for those.

We also put in the Star ad that we were doing refreshments, so no food vans please and we would have turned any away.

We had a team that did refreshments ie bacon butties on George forman grills, toast, cakes etc and that really bumped up the profit.

Another consideration is parking for the public - we wanted to avoid upsetting immediate neighbours so borrowed police cones for the local road.

Give some thought to how you will park the cars....the 1st year we started parking one row but when we started parking the next row parrallel it was tricky as the first people had already got their tables etc out leaving less room for the cars opposite to turn.....

Good Luck

Archived