Aid for Pakistan, yes or no?

Without argueing or making childish slurs to one another, lets look at why some people choose not to send money over to Pakistan to help those people in need at the moment.

2 sides of the story that i heard on radio 2 this afternoon.

Caller 1: Thinks we should send aid and support pakistan. We should put aside any issues and help our muslim brothers.

Caller 2: Why doesn't their goverment help them? they have the money, do we even know the money we send will go to helping these people?

The uk is set to double it's aid to £60m

Story here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11032312

I use the same argument for giving money to homeless who may buy drink with it.

Give money, because then you have morally done your best. If you have given and the money has not been used for good, it isn't your fault. If you don't give then morally you have done wrong, because the money could've gone to good but you never gave it.

Am i making sense?

No matter what cuts, people over here have a far better standard of living than some of these people in Pakistan. When people don't have food, shelter and water they are pretty much dependent on help from others. I would like to think, if a disaster of this magnitude ever affected the UK ( people dying in their 1000s) then the richer countries would assist us

Eh??

C'mon surely this isnt even a valid question.

Hell YES we should give aid, people are dying for god sake!

Its a very valid question as it goes.

From a humanitarian point of view, it goes without saying that Aid is essential, however, Pakistan's government are as bent and corrupt as a 9 bob note... There are more reasons to suspect improper use of monies donated than expect its proper use to be adhered to.

Pakistan has money but its government likes spending that money not on its peoples welfare but on Terrorist organisations and Nuclear bombs to wave at its neighbors. Its fair to be wary of where any financial aid would go to....

Put another way...

Would you trust Gary Glitter to babysit your 13yr old daughter for the evening?

I use the same argument for giving money to homeless who may buy drink with it.

Give money, because then you have morally done your best. If you have given and the money has not been used for good, it isn't your fault. If you don't give then morally you have done wrong, because the money could've gone to good but you never gave it.

Am i making sense?

If the money hasn't been used for 'good', then it's probably been used for 'bad' and, as you're fully aware of the probability of this, I don't see how you've morally done your best?

Archived