Aid for Pakistan, yes or no?

The total size of the areas affected is the size of England! How would we manage with floods of this magnitude, We had a little taste of it a few years ago but this is on another level

If you want to donate, give your money to the charities who are providing aid themselves rather than giving it to the government.

No matter what cuts, people over here have a far better standard of living than some of these people in Pakistan. When people don't have food, shelter and water they are pretty much dependent on help from others. I would like to think, if a disaster of this magnitude ever affected the UK ( people dying in their 1000s) then the richer countries would assist us

I doubt they would.

we are in massive debt.

Mainly to china.

So let the credit card provider who has the actual money pay. not the poor smuck in hock to them.

If you think we should borrow more money from china to give away to pakistan in the current economic climate then you are stark staring mad.

If we are to provide aid, then we should provide it by a proper source such as red cross.

I understand there is a need for help but it always gets to me that we are so much in debt as a country yet still find funds to help where there are disasters or to fight wars.

more debt for us to pay back in the long run!

Its a very valid question as it goes.

From a humanitarian point of view, it goes without saying that Aid is essential, however, Pakistan's government are as bent and corrupt as a 9 bob note... There are more reasons to suspect improper use of monies donated than expect its proper use to be adhered to.

Pakistan has money but its government likes spending that money not on its peoples welfare but on Terrorist organisations and Nuclear bombs to wave at its neighbors. Its fair to be wary of where any financial aid would go to....

Put another way...

Would you trust Gary Glitter to babysit your 13yr old daughter for the evening?

I gave my money to the Red Cross. I don't recall seeing anyone asking us to give money to the Pakistan Govt. :huh:

Its a very valid question as it goes.

From a humanitarian point of view, it goes without saying that Aid is essential, however, Pakistan's government are as bent and corrupt as a 9 bob note... There are more reasons to suspect improper use of monies donated than expect its proper use to be adhered to.

Pakistan has money but its government likes spending that money not on its peoples welfare but on Terrorist organisations and Nuclear bombs to wave at its neighbors. Its fair to be wary of where any financial aid would go to....

Put another way...

Would you trust Gary Glitter to babysit your 13yr old daughter for the evening?

Why the flap? Give it to a non governmental agency.

:huh:Nobody's asking you to give up your child to Garry Glitter, and if so what has that to do with the OP.

Is there any evidence that the money would go to be used in a corrupt manner though?

Considering they are a government yes...all governments are corrupt in some form or other. If you look at corruption at high level Pakistan is probably in the lower league though.

Tipex's question suggest why we rather than governments should give. The government issue is used as a smokescreen for "closer to home" stuff.

You made a valid point earlier..people are dying, it's a no brainer.

Without argueing or making childish slurs to one another, lets look at why some people choose not to send money over to Pakistan to help those people in need at the moment.

2 sides of the story that i heard on radio 2 this afternoon.

Caller 1: Thinks we should send aid and support pakistan. We should put aside any issues and help our muslim brothers.

Caller 2: Why doesn't their government help them? they have the money, do we even know the money we send will go to helping these people?

The uk is set to double it's aid to £60m

Story here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11032312

I don't understand your thread.

The first bold indicates that you are meaning individuals.

The second and third bolds, which are based on callers to a radio show, use the the word 'we', which to me indicates 'we' as a country.

That is two different questions.

Which is it?:confused:

Archived