Aid for Pakistan, yes or no?

Without arguing or making childish slurs to one another, lets look at why some people choose not to send money over to Pakistan to help those people in need at the moment.

2 sides of the story that i heard on radio 2 this afternoon.

Caller 1: Thinks we should send aid and support pakistan. We should put aside any issues and help our muslim brothers.

Caller 2: Why doesn't their government help them? they have the money, do we even know the money we send will go to helping these people?

The uk is set to double it's aid to £60m

Story here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11032312

give them nothing feed them rice.

The Royal Family. The wealthy sheiks would pay a fortune for the queen....get her sold off!:hihi:

Ah......you're another Citizen Smith.... that explains it?

What time is the riot you are starting planned for?

that said, i ask would they do the same for us ?

Be fair, they were never scrooge-like with placards condemning us British indifels to their allahs hell. A placard has to cost a few bob even in the third world surely?

are you serious or what the entire countrys bent :huh:,worse thing you could do is give a money to a bunch of gangsters like the pakistan goverment.give it to one of the reg' .. aid agencys if you want to ease your mind,lord knows its hard enough policeing them let alone the excuse of a goverment pakistans got.

Woah der horsey, steady on me old cocker! lol!! I never said to give it to goverments, I was questioning someones assertion that money would be used in the wrong way ie by govt. I dont for one minute have much faith in any govt to be honest.

It IS a tragedy in Pakistan for the millions of people suffering there, right now.

I asked on Post 27, two linked questions :- Does anyone know HOW MUCH Pakistan spends on nuclear weapons ? WHY is Pakistan so keen to have nuclear weapons ?

Generally speaking, the people of the U.K. have helped people in distress enormously over the years, vis-a-vis other developed countries. However, there comes a point when one starts to think, ' Could that country do more to help itself ? '

Pakistan, spending money on nuclear weapons is rather like a man buying a new kalashnikov, whilst his kids go hungry. If, then, the neighbours always feed the kids, will it encourage the man to buy yet ANOTHER kalashnikov......ad infinitum...... I think we should be told !

It IS a tragedy in Pakistan for the millions of people suffering there, right now.

I asked on Post 27, two linked questions :- Does anyone know HOW MUCH Pakistan spends on nuclear weapons ? WHY is Pakistan so keen to have nuclear weapons ?

Generally speaking, the people of the U.K. have helped people in distress enormously over the years, vis-a-vis other developed countries. However, there comes a point when one starts to think, ' Could that country do more to help itself ? '

Pakistan, spending money on nuclear weapons is rather like a man buying a new kalashnikov, whilst his kids go hungry. If, then, the neighbours always feed the kids, will it encourage the man to buy yet ANOTHER kalashnikov......ad infinitum...... I think we should be told !

Since the OP hasn't answered my earlier question ... (I already knew the answer, but I thought it needed making clear)

I thought I'd respond to you, as you generally have the courtesy to respond back to questions.

My second bold, that IS a good point, however, how much influence on government decisions does the common person have? Does someone who lives in a village really have any knowledge or influence on what their government spends their money on?

How much influence do I have as an Englishman? Do I want my taxes spent on invading countries that I don't believe we have any interest in, and causes that don't affect us?

Can I, me, Ash, as a person, influence what our government spends on nuclear weapons? Or war? Or anything for that matter?

-

Should our country spend money trying to help these people? My answer doesn't matter. That's for me to know. And the thread didn't ask clearly enough for me to put an answer.

However, the reason I posted my first entry was that matty was suggesting 'why people choose to spend their money'

lets look at why some people choose not to send money over to Pakistan to help those people in need at the moment.

... implying individual choice. My answer to that is that anyone can individually choose how to spend their own money. The rest of the thread seems to have misread or ignored this point.

Archived