BBC News piece on Equal Rights

I don't know if anyone caught BBC breakfast this morning when they were discussing equal rights to pay for men and women and then going on to discuss women in prisons.

I completely agree with the point that men and women who do the same job should be paid exactly the same, no arguments. What I found quite funny was that the lady they had on there basically conceeded that if she was earning more than a man (doing the same job) she would not make a point to her employers that this was illegal and immoral.

Ok so there was this argument about men and women having equal pay but the next piece seemed a little contradictory to me. Highlighting the fact that there is an increasing percentage of the female population entering the prison system. Families are being broken up etc but no where was there any mention of the male population. Surely the rules of equality mean that if a woman commits a crime worthy of prison she should be sent there, just as men are. I just don't see the need of a special mention because when men are sent to prison families are broken up etc in exactly the same way as with women.

Please don't let this degenerate into a slang fest between men and women.

I don't know if anyone caught BBC breakfast this morning when they were discussing equal rights to pay for men and women and then going on to discuss women in prisons.

I completely agree with the point that men and women who do the same job should be paid exactly the same, no arguments. What I found quite funny was that the lady they had on there basically conceeded that if she was earning more than a man (doing the same job) she would not make a point to her employers that this was illegal and immoral.

Ok so there was this argument about men and women having equal pay but the next piece seemed a little contradictory to me. Highlighting the fact that there is an increasing percentage of the female population entering the prison system. Families are being broken up etc but no where was there any mention of the male population. Surely the rules of equality mean that if a woman commits a crime worthy of prison she should be sent there, just as men are. I just don't see the need of a special mention because when men are sent to prison families are broken up etc in exactly the same way as with women.

Please don't let this degenerate into a slang fest between men and women.

Yes, I see your point.

In reality though, however unfair a generalisation it is, the mother is usually the primary care-give to a child.

Yes, I see your point.

In reality though, however unfair a generalisation it is, the mother is usually the primary care-give to a child.

Maybe she should be thinking about this responsibility before she does whatever it is than lands her in prison?

Archived