Social science degree wastes of time and what people have done with it.

Has anyone got a BA (Hons) in psychology and sociology and thought it was a waste of time. I find that those who go to uni to study a vocational course study have applied skills. I find that social sciences require further studying at postgrad level in order to get a decent paying job. I am finding that jobs like admin and HR could have been done without going to uni. Career orientated degrees I.e. skill specific careers lead to specific careers. Social science degrees such as mine give you an introductory understanding of a subject while building career skills such as research, writing, critical thinking, and interpretation and analysis of information. I find that you can learn all those skills from the vocational degrees. The advantage is that vocational degrees give you the skills needed to perform a service and make contribute to an industry. What jobs have people got from psychology and sociology degrees without further studying?

I was awarded a degree in Applied Social Studies in 2007. I believe it helped me to get a job as a Community Advice Officer at the Sheffield Royal Society for the Blind and later my present post as a Community Support Worker working with people who have learning difficulities.

At degree is not just about getting a better job though, it is a life changeing experience.

frankly it entorely up to you if you choose to believe what your 'friend' is spouting. I think its a big pile of up their own behind bs and wouldn't want to spend time with someone so intent on belittling their supposed friend in order to make themselves seem better.

Often in order to be and stay at the top of the pile one needs to have experienced the bottom. As I say not all my low level or temp jobs were the greatest challenege or the most fun, but I object to the implication that the time I worked as an admina ssistant/receptioonist for a Macmillan nursing team, speaking to cancer sufferers and their relatives and organising aspects of their care through the MAcmillan service that I wasn't doing something worthwhile. I was certainly learning alot about myself and my abilities and definitely became more sensitive and able to deal with very difficult situations. It was a sumemr temp job and It wasn't much above minimum wage, but it paid my bills for a summer and taught me many valuable things.

As I say - its up to you if you let your friend belittle you as they seem to. I have my degrees from ex poly universities and I personally feel I am pretty successful in many aspects of my life. I probably could have had greater professional success if I had pushed harder - but at what otehr cost?

I would say that she has issues with degrees that she considers meaningless by that she means has no direct application to a career path. Her point to me is if you know you’re from a background that is not well off then you should do a degree that helps you get out of the lower scale end of work not do a degree that does not allow you make you progress career wise. You could say that she believes that if you can avoid going to the bottom of the pile then you should. I don’t think she realises some people have no choice but to go for these temp jobs till something better comes up. To be honest she doesn’t have to worry about that because her mum has got her back for when she is out of work so perhaps it’s not occurred to her. If you don’t mind me asking what degrees did you do and what universities did you go to? I feel as if her attitude is there are jobs out there but some which aren’t for her as long as she does is not doing them that’s are fine. I wish I could make her understand the need for social science to exist.

frankly it entorely up to you if you choose to believe what your 'friend' is spouting. I think its a big pile of up their own behind bs and wouldn't want to spend time with someone so intent on belittling their supposed friend in order to make themselves seem better.

Often in order to be and stay at the top of the pile one needs to have experienced the bottom. As I say not all my low level or temp jobs were the greatest challenege or the most fun, but I object to the implication that the time I worked as an admina ssistant/receptioonist for a Macmillan nursing team, speaking to cancer sufferers and their relatives and organising aspects of their care through the MAcmillan service that I wasn't doing something worthwhile. I was certainly learning alot about myself and my abilities and definitely became more sensitive and able to deal with very difficult situations. It was a sumemr temp job and It wasn't much above minimum wage, but it paid my bills for a summer and taught me many valuable things.

As I say - its up to you if you let your friend belittle you as they seem to. I have my degrees from ex poly universities and I personally feel I am pretty successful in many aspects of my life. I probably could have had greater professional success if I had pushed harder - but at what otehr cost?

Just to share my experiences, I did psychology and my work since then has been relevant but I too am struggling to get over the hurdle of further qualifications.

Since I graduated I have worked on and off as a research assistant (which are really hard jobs to get) and I really wanted to work with children so after travelling I did a PGCE and became a primary teacher. I taught for a year then had a baby, went back part-time and then had another and the school wouldn't let me keep the same part time hours. Since then I've done supply and more research work, plus some work with disabled students. To move onto a higher level as a psychologist and become chartered I'd need to work on little pay solidly for 3 years with a young family which is really difficult. I was supposed to be starting an Msc this month but have pulled out because of the cost and the difficulty finding work following it that could lead to chartership. I'm not in a position to look for posts anywhere in the country.

The obvious route with my experience- Educational Psychology- is 3 years full-time(funded luckily) where for years 2 and 3 you have to find jobs as a trainee which are few and far between. Some students are having to go back to supply at this point too. Clinical's the same- 3 years and extremely competitive, with placements all over the place. If you are serious about becoming a psychologist you have to be career driven (which I wasn't).

I'm quite stuck myself. I'm just glad I am a teacher though so I can always fall back on it and the pay is good, whereas research assistant jobs highly sought after and not that well paid. I'd be up against people with an MSc or PhD now. I also don't know exactly which area I want to be in, just definitely not Clinical but I like the idea of becoming a lecturer and researching but so does everyone else that's the problem!

I suppose I chose travel and family, maybe my time will come later.

My point is, if you want to get further you have to be ambitious and determined, willing to volunteer and get stuck in and be in for the long haul. Having a degree is useful for other jobs as well, but I'd agree that in some cases you'd be better off learning a trade or joining a company from the bottom and working your way up.

That’s very good that you have done a lot shows you tried your best given the circumstances. I don’t want to be a psychologist but I would like to work in public health as health education trainer. Unfortunately she has undermine this saying working for the government is a waste of time as its all about budget hence progression never goes forward fast enough. I am fully aware that whatever I choose to do will require further qualifications and experience whether paid or unpaid. I guess it’s not as easy to get a job with a social science degree that pays more than minimum wage compared to science degrees. I do feel strongly to do something more specific in social science you do need postgraduate qualifications otherwise you are looking at jobs that require transferable skills i.e. managers, HR.

Just to share my experiences, I did psychology and my work since then has been relevant but I too am struggling to get over the hurdle of further qualifications.

Since I graduated I have worked on and off as a research assistant (which are really hard jobs to get) and I really wanted to work with children so after travelling I did a PGCE and became a primary teacher. I taught for a year then had a baby, went back part-time and then had another and the school wouldn't let me keep the same part time hours. Since then I've done supply and more research work, plus some work with disabled students. To move onto a higher level as a psychologist and become chartered I'd need to work on little pay solidly for 3 years with a young family which is really difficult. I was supposed to be starting an Msc this month but have pulled out because of the cost and the difficulty finding work following it that could lead to chartership. I'm not in a position to look for posts anywhere in the country.

The obvious route with my experience- Educational Psychology- is 3 years full-time(funded luckily) where for years 2 and 3 you have to find jobs as a trainee which are few and far between. Some students are having to go back to supply at this point too. Clinical's the same- 3 years and extremely competitive, with placements all over the place. If you are serious about becoming a psychologist you have to be career driven (which I wasn't).

I'm quite stuck myself. I'm just glad I am a teacher though so I can always fall back on it and the pay is good, whereas research assistant jobs highly sought after and not that well paid. I'd be up against people with an MSc or PhD now. I also don't know exactly which area I want to be in, just definitely not Clinical but I like the idea of becoming a lecturer and researching but so does everyone else that's the problem!

I suppose I chose travel and family, maybe my time will come later.

My point is, if you want to get further you have to be ambitious and determined, willing to volunteer and get stuck in and be in for the long haul. Having a degree is useful for other jobs as well, but I'd agree that in some cases you'd be better off learning a trade or joining a company from the bottom and working your way up.

I would say that she has issues with degrees that she considers meaningless by that she means has no direct application to a career path. Her point to me is if you know you’re from a background that is not well off then you should do a degree that helps you get out of the lower scale end of work not do a degree that does not allow you make you progress career wise. You could say that she believes that if you can avoid going to the bottom of the pile then you should. I don’t think she realises some people have no choice but to go for these temp jobs till something better comes up. To be honest she doesn’t have to worry about that because her mum has got her back for when she is out of work so perhaps it’s not occurred to her. If you don’t mind me asking what degrees did you do and what universities did you go to? I feel as if her attitude is there are jobs out there but some which aren’t for her as long as she does is not doing them that’s are fine. I wish I could make her understand the need for social science to exist.

Hello cutie23

Your friend sounds delightful

I'm from a very working class background and did a social sciences degree at an undistinguished establishment. As a result of then messing around a lot over the three years that I did my degree I got a deserved 2:2. Since then I put a bit of effort into my career. I'm now 38 and for several years have been well into the 40% tax bracket, working in jobs that have been enjoyable and fascinating. I feel very lucky that I've been in this position, but my degree has also been relevant to every job I've done. My husband has a Chemistry degree from an extremely well-respected establishment and, if its any measure, earns less than I do.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that a degree - any degree - is just a starting point. You have to be thoughtful about the career direction you want to go in, rather than believing that your degree predestines you in some way. In my experience a social science degree gives you the same grounding as many others.

That’s very good that you have done a lot shows you tried your best given the circumstances. I don’t want to be a psychologist but I would like to work in public health as health education trainer. Unfortunately she has undermine this saying working for the government is a waste of time as its all about budget hence progression never goes forward fast enough. I am fully aware that whatever I choose to do will require further qualifications and experience whether paid or unpaid. I guess it’s not as easy to get a job with a social science degree that pays more than minimum wage compared to science degrees. I do feel strongly to do something more specific in social science you do need postgraduate qualifications otherwise you are looking at jobs that require transferable skills i.e. managers, HR.

I think once your friend has grown up a bit she'll look back at her comments and feel a bit silly. How can she know what she's talking about when she doesn't work in that sector? If you show promise and determination you'll get there. It's funny how we always take on board negative comments more than positive ones, don't listen to her.

I would say degrees in science requires learning a lot of facts and I feel because her degree requires learning facts she must feel social sciences loose it credibility due to opinions and arguments that are potential biased as there is no right or wrong. For her it’s always coming to a conclusion that are proven facts, she feels also science teaches you more common sense. She does think though most therapies require counsellors with life experience who have found ways to cope with their own personal problems hence if you know how to cope what can counsellor tell you don’t already know.

I think once your friend has grown up a bit she'll look back at her comments and feel a bit silly. How can she know what she's talking about when she doesn't work in that sector? If you show promise and determination you'll get there. It's funny how we always take on board negative comments more than positive ones, don't listen to her.

She might change her opinion in the future who knows; it will take perseveration to get where I want to be. It’s ok for her she can directly use her degree perhaps that’s why she finds it hard to understand. I personally feel as long as you going to use your degree in someway in a job that not anyone can do i.e. people without degrees then does not matter what degree you study for as long as it’s not something daft like flower arranging.

Hello cutie23

Your friend sounds delightful

I'm from a very working class background and did a social sciences degree at an undistinguished establishment. As a result of then messing around a lot over the three years that I did my degree I got a deserved 2:2. Since then I put a bit of effort into my career. I'm now 38 and for several years have been well into the 40% tax bracket, working in jobs that have been enjoyable and fascinating. I feel very lucky that I've been in this position, but my degree has also been relevant to every job I've done. My husband has a Chemistry degree from an extremely well-respected establishment and, if its any measure, earns less than I do.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that a degree - any degree - is just a starting point. You have to be thoughtful about the career direction you want to go in, rather than believing that your degree predestines you in some way. In my experience a social science degree gives you the same grounding as many others.

I have a 1st class honours BSc in Psychology and Cognitive Science and an MSc with disticntion in Forensic Science from Middlesex and Teesside universities respectively. Not big names but very good for the courses I wanted to do.

My education has been invaluable in giving me skills for the jobs I have done, in combination with a wide variety of work experience. I have done several jobs and feel that although they may not have made mega bucks they were importnant, made a difference and furthered my career, even when they were just 'temp' jobs. I am now a mid level civil servant earning good money and enjoying my job, I could earn more, it could be more exciting, but I have good colleagues and a good work life balance, what more could I realistically ask for?

I don't understand why it matters so much to you that she approves of what you have done and choose to do - only time will tell. And I would say she has a shock coming if she thinks her degree will lead to big money - graduate science jobs are notoriously low paid. I went into crime analysis after my masters because it paid considerably more than entry level forensic scientist posts. There is also massive competitison for forensic scientist posts since CSI etc got so popular.

Get yourself to a temp agency and push for the more interesting sounding jobs. You may find you change your mind about where you want to be, and you will always find value in any experience you have

Archived