Enough is enough-A Radical New York Approach to Crime

I think he/she is right. You've turned it on it's head for your own argument by changing the meaning. Quite cleverly, and unseen to the average numpty.

What has number of crimes in figures, got to do with the time for justice?

What that poster said about media influence is so obvious that the majority can see it but miss it, why? because this majority has been created by such poor thinkers.

That is 'red-tape' that you are talking of. Red tape is another topic, but I would probably agree with your views on that, given your views on this.

-

I can provide figures if you wish, as I boringly had to study this topic for an essay, so I have links...

I'll give you an example to start with: How many dangerous dogs crimes were reported before the papers started to scare people? And how many were reported after they were posted in the papers?

More examples include:

binge drinking,

teenage louts,

ecstasy death drug,

I could go on, but I won't to save you from my waffling :hihi:

How interesting, was your report on media and crime or the New York policy to disorder?

It seems to me that we should look at the way the streets are "policed". In Sheffield we have a city centre that is patrolled on foor by "Ambassadors" during the day and by Licensed Security Guards at night. As a person who both lives and works in the city centre I am reassured by their presence and dont think that I need to have a Police Officer patrolling. It may be an idea to increase the powers of the Ambassadors/Security Officers so that they could deal with littering and other relatively low level misdemeanours.

I regualrly talk to the guys on the night shift. One of their issues is that there is little or no interaction between them and the Police, that there is no official channel of communication between thier bosses and Police HQ. No recogntion of the contribution they make to the City Centre being safer ( I can state with confidence that it is safer since they were deployed).

Surely the time has come when "policing" included these people who night after night make our City Centre safe and worth visiting.

Regarding the broken windows policy.

I was in New York at this time and felt it was the safest and most friendly city I had ever been to.Walking the streets even late at night was no problem .

My concern is the cost to the other areas if resources are concentrated in the city centre.

Greater use of work in the community punishments is my preferred way of sentencing offenders.

Youth offenders in particular, sentenced to do community work in the evenings would be unable to influence their associates

Crime hasn't increased, it's the perception of crime that's gone up thanks to the internet and rolling news channels. It's probably safer to walk the streets now than it's even been.

I agree. I'm not so sure it's safer to walk the streets than ever, but I do agree that crime on the whole remains relatively constant. Just you hear about it more now.

With that said, types of crime escalate and drop from time to time. But on the whole, if you could classify every crime as 'a crime' statistic, I doubt the overall level has risen much - if at all.

How interesting, was your report on media and crime or the New York policy to disorder?

I think this is a rhetorical question, and you know that I was rambling way off your topic :):hihi:

However, my answer was to a quote to a question that veered off topic, and pushed me even further.

If so, you'd be right, I was rambling, but then topics do go off course. Unfortunately in academic studies, you can't add your own thoughts (perish the thought of using one's own mind), and you have to use examples of other people. I chose the works of Stanley Cohen, and modern 'media based' crime figures, as I agree with much of it. :)

The broken windows theory is flawed.

You can test the flaws if you wish by smashing some windows and observing the outcome.

Smash some windows;

Window 1: A house occupied by a politician earning £65k + expenses & pension

The window will be repaired very quickly and the cost put down as expenses.

Window 2: A house occupied by a working person whom is poor.

The window will be boarded up and eventually repaired if the worker's funds allow.

Window 3: That window of an abandoned building, for example a closed factory.

The window will remain broken and most likely remain broken until the building the window occupies is demolished.

Broken windows are essentially a measure of very localised poverty.

You missed some, one being:

Window 4: Council house window. Tenant gets a crime number from the police, council workmen come and fix it pretty quickly at no cost to the individual tenant. ;)

The broken window theory is only one indicator that an area suffers disproportionately from crime. And the OP is about crime in NY, perhaps not the most obvious comparison to Sheffield.

Archived