How much should blood pressure fluctuate?

But then again most of my family regularly register as lower than 99/59 and none of us have ever had any treatment for it.

Faint when we stand up too quickly, yes; treatment, no. :)

They can borrow some of my pressure.

If you think about this Harrod- if your blood pressure didn't increase and your peripheral veins didn't dilate when you exercised to allow more blood to get to your muscles, then how would your muscles get the extra oxygen and energy that they need to function under times of stress?

Your blood pressure is not one set figure- it is a range which does a job. Your sleeping blood pressure may be well under the normal figure, but then again most people who are asleep are horizontal and it doesn't take much blood pressure to circulate blood to your brain when you aren't vertical. When you're half way through a 10km run your muscles will be needing lots of energy and oxygen and your blood pressure will rise to deliver them.

But then again most of my family regularly register as lower than 99/59 and none of us have ever had any treatment for it.

Faint when we stand up too quickly, yes; treatment, no. :)

Sure sign of low BP. Seeing a doctor might be good idea though. A low BP can affect circulation sometimes which isnt good

My BP is around 100 over 60 most times and my heart rate around 60 BPM.

I was concerned the heart rate was too low but the doc said anything between 60 and 90 resting rate is normal and I used to run and jog a lot so that's normal with people who have spent many years doing strenuous arobics

Lowest normal 99 over 59

Highest normal 130 over 70

That fact that the diastolic pressure only reaches 70 might be noteworthy as a matter of medical interest - it's lower than you'd expect if the systolic reading is 130 - but it isn't remotely anything that anyone would be concerned about. All of your readings appear to be well within the "normal" range.

Throw the stupid machine away!

What you describe are perfectly normal fluctuations in blood pressure.

One off blood pressure readings mean little. What matters is the trend.

An isolated BP of 200/150 would be unlikely to get you admitted to hospital.

Stop worrying, and drink some more coffee :)

Sure sign of low BP. Seeing a doctor might be good idea though. A low BP can affect circulation sometimes which isnt good

It was true in the early 90s, and may still be true, that a blood pressure low enough to qualify you for a discount on health insurance in England, would see the doctors reaching for medication to prevent such dangerously low pressure, if you happened to live in Germany.

If you think about this Harrod- if your blood pressure didn't increase and your peripheral veins didn't dilate when you exercised to allow more blood to get to your muscles, then how would your muscles get the extra oxygen and energy that they need to function under times of stress?

Your blood pressure is not one set figure- it is a range which does a job. Your sleeping blood pressure may be well under the normal figure, but then again most people who are asleep are horizontal and it doesn't take much blood pressure to circulate blood to your brain when you aren't vertical. When you're half way through a 10km run your muscles will be needing lots of energy and oxygen and your blood pressure will rise to deliver them.

Thanks for your input. I really do not believe that I have any cause for concern. I shall have to give this blood pressure tester back!

I have noticed that the blood pressure in my right wrist is always lower than the blood pressure in my left wrist however. I guess that my right wrist is just fitter!:|

My BP is around 100 over 60 most times and my heart rate around 60 BPM.

I was concerned the heart rate was too low but the doc said anything between 60 and 90 resting rate is normal and I used to run and jog a lot so that's normal with people who have spent many years doing strenuous arobics

We've all seen the doctors for other things numerous times over the years and nobody has ever batted an eyelid. I did read my notes once after an operation and found that they'd pushed 6 litres of Hartmann's through my IV in one day to try to get my BP above 110/70 and still failed- and as soon as they stopped the drip I went back down to 100/60.

At one point my resting pulse was 45 when I was very fit, but strangely none of us have ever had circulation problems (apart from my sister fainting constantly when pregnant!).

It was true in the early 90s, and may still be true, that a blood pressure low enough to qualify you for a discount on health insurance in England, would see the doctors reaching for medication to prevent such dangerously low pressure, if you happened to live in Germany.

I've heard that a glass of red wine before bedtime is good for those who have a low BP.

Throw the stupid machine away!

What you describe are perfectly normal fluctuations in blood pressure.

One off blood pressure readings mean little. What matters is the trend.

An isolated BP of 200/150 would be unlikely to get you admitted to hospital.

Stop worrying, and drink some more coffee :)

I think that your advice is right except for the coffee as I have just opened a bottle of kronenbourg.:D

I am conducting an experiment to observe the effect of alcohol upon blood pressure.:D

Archived