Is it time to put Lockerbie to bed

It is typical of the current mood of the US against BP that they would try to get them involved, the fact that BP were conducting negotiations at the same time is not necessarily related.

I am more convinced that scotland were trying to find a way to release him back to libya because the original conviction was so shaky and they needed to find a way to get rid of him without suffering the embarrassment of having to make him a free man on a successful appeal.

Which would mean the case was reopened we're back to square one.

It's hard to argue we should not, if we are also taking their own lack of compassion into account. Otherwise we're just being hypocritical.

There must be something wrong with me then. Try as hard as I might I just cant feel a grain of pity for mass murderers, child kidnappers and rapists or terrorist bombers.

I guess I wasnt blessed with Mahatma Ghandi like qualities

It is typical of the current mood of the US against BP that they would try to get them involved, the fact that BP were conducting negotiations at the same time is not necessarily related.

I am more convinced that scotland were trying to find a way to release him back to libya because the original conviction was so shaky and they needed to find a way to get rid of him without suffering the embarrassment of having to make him a free man on a successful appeal.

Which would mean the case was reopened we're back to square one.

The only people who could know all the details of the evidence were those that sat on the jury. Unless they were bribed or corrupt then their findings must have been fair. Had there been some doubt the verdict amongst them would not have been unanimous

I reckon BP were involved. Everything seems to be negotiable in this sad, profit driven global economy that we have created. I just wish the people in power would be honest about it for a change.

I don't think it had anything to do with BP.

IF there is a conspiracy it's probably to do with the reluctance to make public certain documents that raise doubts over the conviction. Documents that could have been made public if Abdulwottsit had got his day back in court.

The only people who could know all the details of the evidence were those that sat on the jury. Unless they were bribed or corrupt then their findings must have been fair. Had there been some doubt the verdict amongst them would not have been unanimous

Just because it was fair doesn't mean it was correct. There has been enough doubt since to initiate an appeal. Now it would seem that the appeal will never go ahead. Because the appeals process has not reached a conclusion, we can never be sure.

Just because it was fair doesn't mean it was correct. There has been enough doubt since to initiate an appeal. Now it would seem that the appeal will never go ahead. Because the appeals process has not reached a conclusion, we can never be sure.

Who are these doubters and what do they know that the jury didnt know?

...and even that only extends to the evidence which was presented to them.

As in any trial. If further evidence came to light why wasnt a retrial ordered?

This is normal procedure in any case such as this unless the Scots judges have a tendency to become somewhat fuzzy minded through too much imbibing of the old Drambuie

Archived