Is it time to put Lockerbie to bed

Who are these doubters and what do they know that the jury didnt know?

Pretty much everybody, I think.

What is known is that he was appealing against his conviction at this time last year, and that he dropped his appeal shortly before being released on compassionate grounds. What is widely believed, is that he was offered said release only on condition that he dropped his appeal. Indeed, his own lawyer said as much to the appeal judges, when submitting his application to have the appeal dropped; he believed that his only hope of getting back home to Libya in any reasonable time, was to give up the appeal so that they'd give him compassionate release.

None of that could have been known to the original jury, of course.

Pretty much everybody, I think.

What is known is that he was appealing against his conviction at this time last year, and that he dropped his appeal shortly before being released on compassionate grounds. What is widely believed, is that he was offered said release only on condition that he dropped his appeal. Indeed, his own lawyer said as much to the appeal judges, when submitting his application to have the appeal dropped; he believed that his only hope of getting back home to Libya in any reasonable time, was to give up the appeal so that they'd give him compassionate release.

None of that could have been known to the original jury, of course.

And what was the evidence that cast doubt on his guilt?

And what was the evidence that cast doubt on his guilt?

That never became public knowledge, precisely because the appeal was dropped.

It's not a huge jump (though it may not be an accurate one) to surmise that he was granted compassionate release in order to stop the appeal reaching its conclusion. The fact that he's still with us, and great suspicion has been cast on the original forecast of only three months to live, would make it still less of a jump.

Our posts have been crossing with each other somewhat, so let me summarize the timeline of events:

January 2001: Megrahi convicted. At least one relative of the victims, having attended the entire trial in Holland, declares that he is "85% convinced that Megrahi is innocent."

June 2007: After a four-year investigation, the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission declares the conviction to be unsafe and orders a second appeal. (Megrahi had himself launched a previous appeal, which failed.)

October 2008: Megrahi diagnosed with prostate cancer. The Appeal Court reject his claim for compassionate release and proceed with the appeal.

August 2009: Megrahi applies for his appeal (which, remember, was ordered by the judiciary and not requested by him) to be dropped, saying that his only hope of a quick return to Libya is to be released on compassionate grounds, and that he cannot get such a release unless the appeal is dropped.

Appeal Court accepts his submission and strikes down the appeal. Megrahi is released on compassionate grounds.

Our posts have been crossing with each other somewhat, so let me summarize the timeline of events:

January 2001: Megrahi convicted. At least one relative of the victims, having attended the entire trial in Holland, declares that he is "85% convinced that Megrahi is innocent."

June 2007: After a four-year investigation, the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission declares the conviction to be unsafe and orders a second appeal. (Megrahi had himself launched a previous appeal, which failed.)

October 2008: Megrahi diagnosed with prostate cancer. The Appeal Court reject his claim for compassionate release and proceed with the appeal.

August 2009: Megrahi applies for his appeal (which, remember, was ordered by the judiciary and not requested by him) to be dropped, saying that his only hope of a quick return to Libya is to be released on compassionate grounds, and that he cannot get such a release unless the appeal is dropped.

Appeal Court accepts his submission and strikes down the appeal. Megrahi is released on compassionate grounds.

Excellent summary.

...The Lockerbie bomber according to the news this morning is, one year later, very much alive and well and enjoying life to the full in Libya...

That does kinda give the impression that he's partying every night and scubadiving during the day, whereas, the last radio report I heard was that, despite public claims to the contrary, he's undergoing chemo again. Not exactly living it up.

That does kinda give the impression that he's partying every night and scubadiving during the day, whereas, the last radio report I heard was that, despite public claims to the contrary, he's undergoing chemo again. Not exactly living it up.

he should be in a cage at lockerbie

Let sleeping dogs lie, we seem to have a which Hunt from those who feel it was a wrong dececion by Scotland. It happened and will not be reversed.

David Cameron has now said it was wrong, What a suprise. It was a Scotland decesion not Westminster and it has happened and bleeting about it is not going to change that.

America are bieng a pain in the butt and if they are so high and mighty stop the wars that is causing so many deaths.

Scotland has brought shame to then whole of the UK.

Being jocks tho i bet theyll be proud of that fact.

So you think that the people who lost family didnt deserve any consideration?

The Lockerbie bomber according to the news this morning is, one year later, very much alive and well and enjoying life to the full in Libya.

I bet a few people at work when he was released it was all a scam. I also bet them 20 quid each that hed still be alive in a years time.

Looks like i won :(

Archived