Need advice on painting a room..

Hi,

I am putting my 2 children together in 1 room and are currently decorating it.

I have a boy aged 5 and a girl ages 4. We will be painting bottom half 1 colour and top half another colour.

I desperately need advice on what colours to paint the room as pink and blue don't go. I have just been to b&q and for the past hour did nothing but look at colours and row with my partner about what to buy.

Please please we need help with what colours to paint it. We dont want it looking too girly/ boyish.

Thank you

Hi,

I am putting my 2 children together in 1 room and are currently decorating it.

I have a boy aged 5 and a girl ages 4. We will be painting bottom half 1 colour and top half another colour.

I desperately need advice on what colours to paint the room as pink and blue don't go. I have just been to b&q and for the past hour did nothing but look at colours and row with my partner about what to buy.

Please please we need help with what colours to paint it. We dont want it looking too girly/ boyish.

Thank you

paint it yellow white.

It seems you can do one of two things:

1 - put up a vertical partition to divide the room into two; or, 2 - discard the stereotypical choice of blue for a boy, pink for a girl.

My daughter had a yellow room when she was your daughter's age, and now, as a teenager, has one that is purple and blue.

In your situation, how about green/yellow or blue/lilac?

What about a neutral colour such as magnolia/cream and then pick out accent colours in bed linen, curtains and possibley transfers on the wall. Horribleblobs first suggestion to somehow divide the room may be a good idea if the room is large enough.

Why do you have to paint it in two colours? Couldn't you choose a neutral colour, or even white, and just have colourful accessories?

I agree - faffing around painting the top of the walls one colour and the bottom another is a bit pointless to me.

I don't think 4 and 5 year olds are that fussy when it comes to colour schemes! And I certainly disagree with the old-fashioned pink/girl and blue/boy idea.

Either choose a neutral colour or, if the room can take it, a nice, sunny yellow to make it bright and cheerful. Then you could let your children choose the stickers and borders that they like to finish off the decoration.

My son and niece share a bedroom at my mums house when they stay and its pale blue, nearly lilac colour and yellow with a jungle border up. And theres loads of their paintings plastered allover the wall, and pictures of lions etc looks really nice.

Hi thanks for the ideas guys but the room isnt big enough to make it into 2 rooms unfortunately.

As for the pink/ blue steroetype- I have asked my children what colour they want it and my son wants blue and daughter wants pink (they just dont go).

The room already has a wooden border going through the middle of the walls so is already seperated into top/bottom walls.

The room is already currently yellow and would like a change (also I would like the kitchen to go yellow so dont want the kids rooms going yellow again too- fancy a change)

Thanks chimay- I think something like that would be nice for them both and would make sence to paint around the linen and curtains so everything matches.

Thanks again guys-

Archived