Glossop Road Swimming Baths

Would that have been with Mr Ratigan as swimming teacher and Mr Walsh as PE teacher, he taught us to swim at Glossop Rd baths from Nether Green school in the late 60s early 70s?

I think our class teacher, Mr Delaney accompanied us. He used to make stories up on the bus back to school using pupils as characters in the story.

I think Mr Roberts used to take us too. I recall his burgundy Adidas track-suit!!

Nice times despite the fashion.

Brought back some memories, used to go there from Stumperlowe Crescent First School and Nether Green Middle in the mid 70's - I remember going with Mrs Cutts class and then Mr Roberts at Nether Green - Remember that track suit. From memory always seemed to be cold waiting in the link tunnel between the Victoria and Cavendish pool, I think most times we were taught in the Cavendish pool - did the Vic pool have diving boards or is that my failing memory!.

Happy Days and two great schools.

CAN ANYONE REMEMBER WHEN THE INSTRUCTOR LEARNT YOU TO SWIM,

THE LIFE BELT WAS TIN, SHAPE OF A PETROL CAN AND WAS FIXED TO A SNAKE BELT

THAT FASTEN ROUND YOUR CHEST.

IF YOU`D JUMPED IN THE SWIM, THE TIN WOULD HIT THE WATER THEN HIT YOU ON THE HEAD. THAT WAS IN THE 40/50s

I dont remember the can but i remember him having a pole with a belt on it

and walked down the pool playing you like a gasping fish.

OR A BIG PIKE-----

-----------------

yes i remember the pole to,

when i swam across in breaths, thats why we had the tin float

on the back to keep us afloat while swimming.

Edited by brian1941

OR A BIG PIKE-----

-----------------

when i swam my 25yrs across in breaths, thats why we had the tin float

on the back to keep us afloat while swimming.

You would need it if you swam for 25 years non-stop!! I remember the pole as well but not the tin - 1960s.

Does anyone remember when the bath was covered over with a glass floor and became a night club. The glass had lights under it and it was great to dance on.

My mom and dad told me about that - I think they danced on it - but they are, sadly, deceased.