The bliss of ignorance

But most if not all debates turn out the same BF, with certain posters telling other posters they are talking nonsense, or they are wrong, or what they are saying is not true. That's just as frustrating as someone sticking their fingers in their ears in my opinion.

After you have explained as clearly as it is possible to do that they are talking nonsense, how many times do you credit them the intelligence and honesty to actually be honestly debating? Perhaps we shouldn't but there comes a point when simply saying they are idiots, dishonest or trolls saves a lot of time and effort. I am not saying that is ideal or even desirable, but we are all human with a limited amount of patience with fools.

After you have explained as clearly as it is possible to do that they are talking nonsense, how many times do you credit them the intelligence and honesty to actually be honestly debating? Perhaps we shouldn't but there comes a point when simply saying they are idiots, dishonest or trolls saves a lot of time and effort. I am not saying that is ideal or even desirable, but we are all human with a limited amount of patience with fools.
Yes, fair enough, but I wasn't referring to trolling as such. I was talking about the word true/truth that is routinely thrown in with ostentatious remarks during heated arguments.

Maybe, it depends on how outlandish the statement was.

If they said something like 'I've just come back from the pub' I'd probably take their word for it.

If they told me 'there is a worldwide conspiracy to hide the true origins of Mars Bars, they are in fact the droppings of mars rabbits which were discovered by Nasa in the 70s' then I would probably ask for proof, yes.

I know what your saying,i usually back up what i say with a link or will reply with one if requested.

I'm surely allowed my own opinion though.

Who can produce evidence of their own opinion ? i can only provide"evidence"on which i base my opinion.

(sorry about my overuse of the word opinion)

Is that true then,about the mars rabbit droppings ?, i must consult the david icke site.

I would look at the supporting and conflicting evidence to assess whether something was true. Although that wouldn't apply if I claimed to know it was true, as I would have witnessed it.

The supporting and/or conflicting evidence would surely have to materialise from somewhere..and If you hadn't witnessed it it directly why do we come to the conclusion it's true?

Then I read your following and picked up your use of the word "wrong".

But most if not all debates turn out the same BF, with certain posters telling other posters they are talking nonsense, or they are wrong, or what they are saying is not true. That's just as frustrating as someone sticking their fingers in their ears in my opinion.

...or "right" as the case may be. Even if we don't experience something that is being debated as true we can still feel it's true based on past experiences that have felt "right or wrong" depending on your perception of right and wrong that is.

A person may state that a whole society are savages based on the action of one of it's society as true...I wouldn't argue that that is untrue..I'm more inclined to argue it's wrong based on my own knowledge of societies in general.

Something can feel right or wrong..that's more to do with human psychi than the fact of true/false.

Yes, fair enough, but I wasn't referring to trolling as such. I was talking about the word true/truth that is routinely thrown in with ostentatious remarks during heated arguments.

People here often use language inaccurately and overstate claims. Claims to truth is no exception to this. It leaves them open to additional criticism, but that is all part of the to and fro of a debate. It is easy to overstate claims but a lot harder to admit you have done so and especially difficult to do if the person you are arguing with is showing a lot of attitude.

If you were sat around with your mates having a chat and someone made a statement,would it be proper to demand evidence to back up that statement ?

This isn't a Law Court.

Fair enough if someone has evidence to dispute the statement and wish to produce it,rather than the old "wibble wibble":loopy::loopy::loopy: treatment.its such a cop out.

Dont worry vR, nobody here will be produced to the beak for claiming that the earth is flat!

The discussions here are just like the banter in the pub with our mates, it's lively and sensational statements will be challenged, just as they are in real life.

Dont worry vR, nobody here will be produced to the beak for claiming that the earth is flat!

The discussions here are just like the banter in the pub with our mates, it's lively and sensational statements will be challenged, just as they are in real life.

Anyone claiming the earth is flat would however be making it fairly obvious they have never left Lincolnshire to visit Sheffield though. :hihi:

just got back from the aleshop and the watch were arguing that the blades were not bottom of the league...and to prove it they spent the next hour standing on their heads...to view the league table.....we did the same and found to our suprise wednesday were in the bottom four....

just got back from the aleshop and the watch were arguing that the blades were not bottom of the league...and to prove it they spent the next hour standing on their heads...to view the league table.....we did the same and found to our suprise wednesday were in the bottom four....

..it'll be a better view standing upright, by Xmas easty :hihi:

Archived