The bliss of ignorance

What do you understand by the phrase "ignorance is bliss."

I take it to mean that if someone is ignorant of the fact there are starving millions in the world, they are in a state of blissful ignorance.

What do you think it means?

Well if you take it to mean that, how can it be an emotion you're championing, unless you don't care about the plight of starving millions?

I'm not sure it is all down to ignorance. People develop values and beliefs, many of which become entwined with that person's identity. It may well be easier to rubbish the other person and reinforce one's own irrational beliefs than to admit that the said belief is irrational.

Once we begin to question core values, or we are forced to confront them through some kind of external trauma, we can end up in a very uncomfortable place not knowing what it is safe to cling on to.

Well if you take it to mean that, how can it be an emotion you're championing, unless you don't care about the plight of starving millions?

I am not championing it. I am saying if you know about it (not ignorant) then you should be concerned.

I think there is a communication problem.

I'm going for a cup of tea.

I am not championing it. I am saying if you know about (not ignorant) it then you should be concerned.

I think there is a communication problem.

I'm going for a cup of tea.

Well it sounds like we're all in agreement. Enjoy your tea.

I'm not sure it is all down to ignorance. People develop values and beliefs, many of which become entwined with that person's identity. It may well be easier to rubbish the other person and reinforce one's own irrational beliefs than to admit that the said belief is irrational.

Once we begin to question core values, or we are forced to confront them through some kind of external trauma, we can end up in a very uncomfortable place not knowing what it is safe to cling on to.

Are you at that place yourself Bloomdido?

Cool

The way you wrote it makes it sound like you were saying that people should care about the fact that they should be in ignorance, but gain knowledge - ie they should not be gaining knowledge.

Knowledge is so important, it does change our outlook and take us out of our "blissfully ignorant" comfort zone as I am sure you will agree? :)

I think that is a perceptive point.

Some people seem to see themselves as Alf Garnett type's and therefore will respond to debates with expressions of their personality rather than an impartial logical engagement with the debate. In extreme cases they tend to personalise opposing views and see it as a threat to their personality, rather than a part of an objective debate. This will work with other personality types too, but especially with authoritarian types which are less open.

I am conscious that my immediate reaction to questions and issues are framed by my opinions and personality, but and this is an important distinction not formed by them.

Archived