The bliss of ignorance

You may well be right, and links from all those sources can be reproduced here to bolster an argument, I guess what troubles me are posters who present an argument as fact without a desire to enlighten the debate with their reasons why.

Absolutely, I don't lend much credibility to blog sources or minor interest groups found in Google searches, but conventional news sources and research information is also linked there, not just the nutjobs,

Have you any idea how many disciples of the Great God Google there are on this forum?

Evidence isn't always factually accurate though.
I'm not suggesting it is, but in presenting it nonetheless others can then challenge it, which may enlighten the poster who made the claim in the first place.

Whereas someone who actually witnessed an incident or overheard an individual say something would be in possession of the facts.. although the actual facts which support their argument would be deemed invalid by your line of reasoning as their argument wouldn't tally with your source of information which you have presented as evidence, therefore your argument as to be true.

No, I would only say their argument is invalid if they weren't prepared to offer any evidence at all to support it, clearly in the example you give they're providing first hand evidence, if I didn't hear it myself I wouldn't be in a position to challenge it.

I'm not suggesting it is, but in presenting it nonetheless others can then challenge it, which may enlighten the poster who made the claim in the first place.

No, I would only say their argument is invalid if they weren't prepared to offer any evidence at all to support it, clearly in the example you give they're providing first hand evidence, if I didn't hear it myself I wouldn't be in a position to challenge it.

Anyone who didn't witness it first hand wouldn't be in a position to challenge it regardless.

All I can do is challenge any views that may differ to my own when discussing something that I have no reason to accept as truth, with other posters who have been led to believe it is true, and accept it as truth.

Anyone who didn't witness it first hand wouldn't be in a position to challenge it regardless.

All I can do is challenge any views that may differ to my own when discussing something that I have no reason to accept as truth, with other posters who have been led to believe it is true, and accept it as truth.

You're assuming that the witness will accurately remember all the relevant details, and then present them in an honest manner.

Have you any idea how many disciples of the Great God Google there are on this forum?

What exactly do you mean by that?

If someone doesn't know the facts of a matter googles it, reports back what they have learnt with a reference then what is the problem? That is informed and open debate.

Similarly a poster that already knows what they are talking about and uses google to provide additional references to back up their arguments again is engaging in open and informed debate.

Neither approach says I know better than someone else, it is about clearly stating their viewpoint.

Disparaging others views on the basis of them providing references seems to be what this thread is about. The use of ad hominems like they are "disciples of the Great God Google" is not an open response to another persons opinion it is closed, insulting and patronising.

What exactly do you mean by that?

If someone doesn't know the facts of a matter googles it, reports back what they have learnt with a reference then what is the problem? That is informed and open debate.

Similarly a poster that already knows what they are talking about and uses google to provide additional references to back up their arguments again is engaging in open and informed debate.

Neither approach says I know better than someone else, it is about clearly stating their viewpoint.

Disparaging others views on the basis of them providing references seems to be what this thread is about. The use of ad hominems like they are "disciples of the Great God Google" is not an open response to another persons opinion it is closed, insulting and patronising.

Read boyfridays OP. He's the one who brought up the subject of use of google. I just submitted my responses nothing more. Every post you submit has at least one link in it so if the shoe fits......

Read boyfridays OP. He's the one who brought up the subject of use of google.

Where?! :huh:

The first mention of Google was in your post #33-and at least we have the evidence readily available to support it!

Read boyfridays OP. He's the one who brought up the subject of use of google. I just submitted my responses nothing more. Every post you submit has at least one link in it so if the shoe fits......

You know if you are going to make a claim about "Every post" it might be sensible to at least check if there is one in the one you are referencing...

:hihi:

Edit: just re-read the OP to check it said what I thought it did, and it does...... Also mmmm... Lamb Saag proof that opinions can change people's minds.

Archived