Councils 'could cut 500,000 jobs and not harm services'

This from the BBC web site:

Councils 'could cut 500,000 jobs and not harm services'

The UK's councils could do the same amount of work with 500,000 fewer staff if they matched the productivity of private firms, a report has claimed.

Junior staff in local authorities were, on average, productive only 32% of the time during working hours, said management consultancy Knox D'Arcy.

It said this compared with an average of 44% in the private sector.

"Put simply, by matching average private sector staff utilisation levels, local government could increase its productivity by roughly a third," said Paul Weekes, the report's author and principal consultant at Knox D'Arcy.

"This sort of dramatic increase would help significantly offset the cuts that are on the agenda as part of the Government's austerity package."

LINK

The unions aren't happy about the idea though.

I can see their point, after all, what would the country do with half a million unemployable diversity outreach coordinators and the like?

Yawn.....but when 75,000 civil servants get sacked people post on here moaning about how they can't get through to renew their tax credits...

Wish I was capable of a coherent response to our Baaaaaaaaaaaarnsley tory but i'm not (who surely should be out badger baiting:suspect:)

I'm sure Wildcat will suitably admonish the muppet once again!

depends on how many departments there is ?does the council have over 120 departments ?are you a manager for the council :hihi:
Some depts are obviously bigger than others and therefore have more staff and managers. No matter how many depts there are, it doesn't alter the average ratio of managers to staff. And no i'm not.

Archived