Time to scrap the TV licence?

No I wouldn't

If you've ever been the the US, it shows how dire commercial TV can be. Even over here (with ads limited to 12 min per hour) ITV and Five are pretty dire. The licence fee is only about 30p per day, per household which I think is pretty good value for money.

Removing the licence fee would destroy British broadcasting. There's not a magic bottomless pot of advertising money which can replace the licence fee, so all the advertisers would pull out of the current channels (leading to them closing down) and just advertise on BBC (ruining all their programmes).

Not only that, but part of the lience fee is used to fund all the infrastructure, so an actual tax would probably spring up to replace it with all the money going to the government first.

When I was first introduced to Sky (at a friend's house) I was taken aback when I saw the ads, I was under the impression that subscription services would be free of them, but no, they're plastered throughout every programme, and mainly for this reason I would not subscibe. The BBC fee is irksome and perhaps should be reduced but at least you can watch without being tormented with ads. If I do want to watch something on a commercial station I tend to record it so as I can skip the ads.

If I want to watch the Tv I put it on.

Some channels are scrambled and I must pay if I WANT to watch them.

The BBC channels are not scrambled, but I MUST pay to watch them, even if I do not want to.

They should scramble their channels, then anybody paying for the TV license should be allowed to watch their channels.

It's a regressive tax that I do not want to pay.

If I want to watch the Tv I put it on.

Some channels are scrambled and I must pay if I WANT to watch them.

The BBC channels are not scrambled, but I MUST pay to watch them, even if I do not want to.

They should scramble their channels, then anybody paying for the TV license should be allowed to watch their channels.

It's a regressive tax that I do not want to pay.

Don't forget the TV licence pays for all radio and online services too.

Even if I didn't use BBC services i'd be quite happy to pay to allow others to use them.

Archived