Time to scrap the TV licence?

I'd pay the license fee for radio and internet services alone.

BBC Radio is still magnificent and the fact that it remains ad-free is one of its major benefits.

As for TV, I might argue that the concept itself could be scrapped for what it's worth.

BBC Radio is still magnificent and the fact that it remains ad-free is one of its major benefits.

As for TV, I might argue that the concept itself could be scrapped for what it's worth.

Disagree. 38p just for the news, a film, a documentary is pretty good value even if you're not an avid TV watcher. Some would argue the background noise would justify.

As an American viewer, I must unwillingly agree with you all about commercials. We have one cable station that is ad free,TCM, Turner Classic Movies which shows what it says it shows. Trying to do a quick switch to another channel justt for the couple of ad minutes does'nt help. They''ve got our number, and all do the ads at the same time. Why are Americans obese? There's nowt else to do but go to the kitchen. If there were no commercials we'd all be as thin as Typhoo tea.

Yeah, we've (well I) think there's been some great shows on the Been.

Doctor Who

Mongrels

How not to live your life

My Family

And quite a few more

Sure, we've had to endure The Deep but it's a small price to pay.

Don't forget the TV licence pays for all radio and online services too.

Even if I didn't use BBC services i'd be quite happy to pay to allow others to use them.

well tell you what ill stop paying mine and you can pay instead, cheers :D

I agree and I don't watch TV. The BBC is an institution that we must keep. Advertising is taking over the world.

I'd love to see the results of a survey which shows people's viewing habits against their view of the licence fee - under the condition that participants weren't aware that this was the aim of the survey (it's easy to say you don't use and BBC services if you think that it's a licence fee survey).

I would place good money on there being no correlation between people don't want to pay the licence fee and people who don't consume any of the BBC output. Equally, I think there would be a very good correlation between people who don't want to pay the licence fee, and people who think programming paid for by adverts don't cost them anything.

Archived