Your $100k dinner date - Gordon Brown

Mini-Blair is back and it looks like the charity work is taking a back seat for our ex PM and Chancellor.

He's said to be hiring himself out for hundred grand a night dinner dates and he'll bring Mrs Brown along for an extra twenty grand if she also takes your fancy.

Exclusive: Gordon Brown launches his public speaking career

While Tony Blair has been pledging a slice of his massive post-PM earnings to The Royal Legion, a tale reaches me – from an impeccable source – about what Gordon Brown is up to. He once indicated he'd devote his post-PM life to modest good works, but it appears he is also trying to build up a large nest egg of his own: in the world of public speaking, with six-figure fees.

He's asked a London speaking agency to tout for speaking engagements for him in the Middle East and Asia. And the price? He's been offered at $100,000 a pop and is promising to speak on areas covered by his new book, The Financial Crisis, which is due out soon. That should have 'em roaring in the aisles.

A hundred grand – and in dollars, not pounds – is a lot less, of course, than the figures commanded by Blair, Clinton or, in her day, Thatcher. But our ex-Dear Leader doesn't have quite their international cache. So $100,000 for an hour's work would be not a bad fee for a son of the manse with his self-styled moral compass and parsimonious bent.

There are more demands. Whoever wants him – and I'm told there actually is some interest in the Gulf – would also have to stump up for five-star hotel accommodation, a first-class seat and three business-class ones. Just one first class – won't Mrs Brown won't be travelling with him? Oh yes, replied Our Man in the Desert. Sarah is been offered as an optional extra to present a prize at award ceremonies where he speaks for an extra $20,000. Just one award per ceremony, mind you - which is hardly an arduous workload, but doesn't quite explain why she doesn't get to fly first class with him.

Unfortunately this kind of thing is pretty commonplace among ex (and even current) politicians amongst all parties.

Michael Howard: http://www.speakerscorner.co.uk/file/4ae7557a3c4f89405b2574f71097bfa3/michael-howardafter-dinner-speakerskeynote-speakersfinance--economicsinternationalpolitics.html

Ann Widdecombe: http://www.speakerscorner.co.uk/file/2b7b260debeb910f8f70dadb914e0b07/ann-widdecombe-after-dinner-conference-politics-mp-parliament.html

Personally I don't think anyone really should be making money out of their experience in public office.

Personally I don't think anyone really should be making money out of their experience in public office.

..or if they do, they should do it for expenses only, I wouldn't begrudge them the 5 star accommodation etc, and I'm sure they have much to say about their ministerial days that the world would like to know about but the fees should still be paid and donated to charities.

Seriously who would pay that kind of money for GOrdon Brown?

Tony Blair I can understand, I don't particularly like the bloke, but I can see that he is a fantastic speaker and does appear to have a sense of humour. Mr brown however always seemed so uncomfortable when speaking in public.

Archived