Shocking Chinese Restaurant Visit

absynthfairy

At the risk of being thought pedantic, I have to ask why you classify this as a "Chinese Restaurant " when its name suggests that it is not?. Sorry that your meal was so disgusting, certainly there is no way I would have paid them a brass farthing. Whilst on this subject , is the Water Margin near Abbey Lane still there?

And for takeaways Chans on Abbeydale Road, near Broadfield Road? How time flies, nearly ten years since I last enjoyed such cullinary delights.

O.P.:thumbsup:

I went to Jumbo today - it was nice but no crispy duck...

I think Jumbo vary their menu depending on which day you go. Have you noticed that the price changes if you go in the evening or at the weekend? I think that's got something to do with it.

If you go to the grand buffet (or something like that) which I think is in the evenings, you'll get crispy duck.

Oldpomona - lol. Yeah, why do we insist on doing that...? It's like saying 'going for an Indian' when you're clearly going to a Bangladeshi or Pakistani run restaurant... Maybe it's the Empire mentality, ie. "that country more than likely belongs to us anyway so we can call it what we want"!

Originally posted by Tartempion

I think Jumbo vary their menu depending on which day you go. Have you noticed that the price changes if you go in the evening or at the weekend? I think that's got something to do with it.

Yeah - Number 1 do the same...go on a Sunday and it's cheaper, but instead of crispy duck, you get the traditional oriental dishes of sausages and curley fries :suspect:

So let me get this right - your friend found a beetle in their food which they then replaced and you compained about the duck which they offered you a discount on - seems fair to me.

I'll still eat there as I've never had a problem - heard beetles are good for you as well :)

Seriously though - I used to live near the place and I've ordered a set meal over the phone and had it delivered in 10 minutes from the call so they probably have a lot of the food continuously cooking.

Originally posted by fnkysknky

So let me get this right - your friend found a beetle in their food which they then replaced and you compained about the duck which they offered you a discount on - seems fair to me.

But, as I said to the woman arguing with me... WHY WAS THE BEETLE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!! :rant:

Went to Noodle Inn last night - it was fantabulous. I am now happy :)

As I understand it, all the prices on a menu carry no more weight than a recommended price, and you are under no actual obligation to pay the listed price for the food, especially if it was substandard.

A flying insect (such as a beetle) could easily land in your food beween kitchen and table, and may be unable to escape. I've found all sorts in my food, in all sorts of places. Insects I can cope with, metal swarf, glass and fibreglass make me worry more.

If it was me, I would have just picked it off I think, no worse than a summer picnic.

[punter]"Waiter! There is a fly in my soup"

[waiter - Spike Milligan] "Don't panic sir, I'll save him!" [spike dives into a bowl of soup].

Archived