Victoria Street and Broomspring Lane

JOHN HABS

Hello vilink,

I've always prided myself on having what I thought was a good memory of the 'old' days

but just cannot place another church around that area other than St.Silas. When next in that area I'll go and have a look - pity you do not have a photo of it.

We use to live at number 112 which was 7 houses up from the bottom of Victoria Street and directly opposit Bolton Lane, this was my nan's house and she had lived there all her life up until the houses were knocked down.

Just out of curiousity, do you remember the cats shelter on the lower end of Gell Street and the bakery shop on Fitzwilliam Street near to where Earnest Hill's was ?

JOHN HABS

Hello vilink,

I've always prided myself on having what I thought was a good memory of the 'old' days

but just cannot place another church around that area other than St.Silas. When next in that area I'll go and have a look - pity you do not have a photo of it.

We use to live at number 112 which was 7 houses up from the bottom of Victoria Street and directly opposit Bolton Lane, this was my nan's house and she had lived there all her life up until the houses were knocked down.

Just out of curiousity, do you remember the cats shelter on the lower end of Gell Street and the bakery shop on Fitzwilliam Street near to where Earnest Hill's was ?

JOHN HABS

hiya all on this thread, first the steeplejack harrisons was in regent terrace on the left hand side going up from glossop road to jessops hospital on leaveygreave road regent terrace was you can say was a continuation of cavendish street on the other side of the road, with the baths at the corner. now regent street was next to regent terrace, when i was young boots chemist was was on the corner, next to a ladies clothes shop, then west steet post office, then the beehive pub.looking up regent street the only thing you could see was st georges church. there were two bakeries one was winters their meat and potato pies at 6d each around1960 thinking back a pint of beer was about 3 pies, they were the size of the smallest pork pies you get today. the one other bakery was next to ernest hills they were called cricks, i seem to remember a grocers opposite with thet name. going back to regent street i remember the chip shop where you could buy two or three pennyworth of chips on the way home from the weston pictures thats why i remember this area twice a week every tuesday and saturday for years with my mum and gran when i was young. Victoria street went up to leaveygreave road in fact laycock engineering on archer road was where jessops was later built on the site they left. the factory on archer road was called victoria works.

Hi JOHN NABS, on the corner of Victoria St and Glossop Rd was Fords Antiques, now a restaurant, I think Fords lived in the big house next door on Victoria St, then there was a yard with a couple of small cutlery workshops, and next door were two houses numbers 38 & 36 then the little church. (I will find the photo)

We used to go to the Weston Picture House every week and of course to the chippy in Regent St.

Well remember Ernest Hills, and the cats shelter in Gell St, as a lad I had to take two of our old cats there to be 'put to sleep' it was very sad!

Thanks

Hello vilink,

JOHN HABS

hiya around broomhall there were a few places for prayer e g st marks, st andrews , hanover chapel, fitzwilliam hall behind hills, calvery hall,a church down carver st, one down eldon st, salvation army hall on bath st

some while ago on another thread around where i lived on bath st within a fifteen minute walk there were twenty pubs,six off licence,four wet fish shops,six chip shops, five cobblers,five friuterers,three post offices, eight newspaper shops ,three tobacconists,i remember writing before saying around broomhall st was like at the time 40s/50s. a city within a city.ah well

Hi JOHN HABS, the name of the church in Victoria Street is or was

'Calvary Holiness Church' no idea what they call it now, but I do know it is still there.

Do go and check it out, Best Wishes

It is now part of the University Arts department.

I used to work in the office next door.

it was called Victoria Street Church Of The Nazarene

The name of the church at No 34 Victoria Street evidently changed over the years. This is how it is described in various Kelly's directories:

1901, 1925 & 1942 - Catholic Apostolic Church

1968 - Calvary Holiness Church

1973 - Church of the Nazarene

Archived