Victoria Street and Broomspring Lane

JOHN HABS

hiya in answer to above letter about 8 court 5 it was the other way round i lived on bath street at 8 court (( the yard ) and 6 the house number i remember at the bottom of each entry was the court number, anyhow in the 40s and 50s a pal of mine at the time used to visit his aunt she lived opposite bolton lane up an entry, his aunts name was dora, she had a daughter i dont remember her name she was a few years older than us but i remember she had a beautiful head of auburn hair.

Hi Willybite,

I read in an earlier post that you lived on bath Street.

My last posting about which side the person lived on was meant for mammybear who had been in touch with me earlier in the evening.

Hi Willybite,

I read in an earlier post that you lived on bath Street.

My last posting about which side the person lived on was meant for mammybear who had been in touch with me earlier in the evening.

hiya john sots as we used to say.can you remember the houses at the bottom of victoria street to the left looking up, one i knew that lived there was i think his name was ted green ( burdock) and the second hand clothes shop a bit higher where you could buy second hand football boots for half a crown,more than two and a half pints of beer in those days

hi we lived on the same side as the school, my mam says next to our yard was a lane she thinks it was peter or petre st, then there was the school. i can remember our next door neighbours son was called alan hunt. i remember the cobblers shop, and the pop man corona. i remember my mam getting a kitten from the cats shelter in gell st.

hi we lived on the same side as the school, my mam says next to our yard was a lane she thinks it was peter or petre st, then there was the school. i can remember our next door neighbours son was called alan hunt. i remember the cobblers shop, and the pop man corona. i remember my mam getting a kitten from the cats shelter in gell st.

Hello again mammybear,

The lane you refer to was Bolton Lane - if you were to follow it from your end to where it meets Victoria Street our house number 112 was directly opposit it.

As a child I use to play in your yard - down the entry from your house and just around the corner to the left is where the person I asked you about use to live, a girl called Susan Tomlinson who would have been your age - did you know her ?

Corona use to bring us a crate of pops every Friday which we use to store on the stone table in the cellar.......in winter time if it got too cold in the cellar the pop bottles use to explode.

Do you remember the sweet shop on Broomspring Lane........ 4 blackjacks and 4 fruit salad chews for a penny, sherbet fountains and soda crystals.

hi john habs, just been speaking to my mam she says a mrs south was our neighbour and her grandaughters susan and sandra lived down the passage and to the left, there parents were olga and colin. They moved out of sheffield to somewhere near grimsby. there was another susan that lived down the passage and off to the right, she was a little older than me.

hi john habs, just been speaking to my mam she says a mrs south was our neighbour and her grandaughters susan and sandra lived down the passage and to the left, there parents were olga and colin. They moved out of sheffield to somewhere near grimsby. there was another susan that lived down the passage and off to the right, she was a little older than me.

Hello,

I use to know Mrs South and both the grandaughters.

I'm sure your mum will know the family I keep going on about with the daughter called Susan Tomlinson, her dad was called Joe and her mum was called Gladys......really nice couple - Susan is my 2nd cousin and I've not seen her since I lived down Victoria Street - I would love to see her again - tried to trace her but been unable to do so.

I'm also sure that having played many times in your yard ( and I think it was with Alan Hunt ) I would have known you - what's your proper name ?

I went to Springfield infants and then the Junior school.

Do you remember when Springfield school use to have a play centre after school hours ?

Hello,

I use to know Mrs South and both the grandaughters.

I'm sure your mum will know the family I keep going on about with the daughter called Susan Tomlinson, her dad was called Joe and her mum was called Gladys......really nice couple - Susan is my 2nd cousin and I've not seen her since I lived down Victoria Street - I would love to see her again - tried to trace her but been unable to do so.

I'm also sure that having played many times in your yard ( and I think it was with Alan Hunt ) I would have known you - what's your proper name ?

I went to Springfield infants and then the Junior school.

Do you remember when Springfield school use to have a play centre after school hours ?

hiya john just reading about the playcenter at school i remember going first to the one in the bottom hall where we played the games, like in and out the windows,and one where the teacher kept taking a chair away after the music stopped,pass the parcel, and orange and lemons, don't know i feel a lemon remembering these. on the middle hall was just one calssroom was open

this was for drawing and board games, we had monopoly when it firt cime out on the top hall were a big billiard table and two small ones , and two t/tennis tables. remember headmaster mr kinman coming with his daughter and son in law redfern froggatt and one or two wednesday players

hiya i've been writing about the lane at the side of mr and mrs allen the school caretaker it jogged my memory as to what its name was,it was petre lane, ive looked it up in my directory ,when i've read, and written about bolton lane something didn't ring true.

hiya john just reading about the playcenter at school i remember going first to the one in the bottom hall where we played the games, like in and out the windows,and one where the teacher kept taking a chair away after the music stopped,pass the parcel, and orange and lemons, don't know i feel a lemon remembering these. on the middle hall was just one clssroom was open

this was for drawing and board games, we had monopoly when it firt cime out on the top hall were a big billiard table and two small ones , and two t/tennis tables. remember headmaster mr kinman coming with his daughter and son in law redfern froggatt and one or two wednesday players

Hello willybite,

Just sent you a private message.

I use to go to the playcentre a lot......down in the bottom hall they use to have a bit of a disco thing and in the middle hall they had everything you said as well as a skittle board game ( swinging a ball on a chain to knock down as many skittles as you could ).

There was also a classroom for sewing for anyone who wanted to make fancy placemats.

The headmaster and headmistress at Springfield school when I was there were called Holdsworth.

Hello willybite,

Just sent you a private message.

I use to go to the playcentre a lot......down in the bottom hall they use to have a bit of a disco thing and in the middle hall they had everything you said as well as a skittle board game ( swinging a ball on a chain to knock down as many skittles as you could ).

There was also a classroom for sewing for anyone who wanted to make fancy placemats.

The headmaster and headmistress at Springfield school when I was there were called Holdsworth.

hiya john, thanks for the information i'm a bit older than you as the headmaster mr holdsworth came to springfield just after christmas 1952 when mr kinman retired, i left at easter 1953. mr boyce retired at this time.

Archived