Easily Irritated..AQI GRRRRRRR!

So maybe I am impatient, maybe I do sometimes get easily irritated and easily annoyed. oddly enough, its usually other people and their god dam annoying mannerisms that annoy me. I have re-developed my utter contempt and seething dislike of that stupid A.Q.I way of talking!!!!!! For those of you who are lucky enough not to be aware of A.Q.I. I will endeavor to enlighten you (It is difficult to do by the written word though)

A.Q.I (Australian Question Intonation) Is that unbelievably irritating way of talking where right at the end of a sentence the the tone goes up a little so most sentences end up sounding like questions, even statements sound like a question! Coupled together with over use of the words "Like" and "Really cool" it makes for a vomit-fest for any poor individual within hearing range of it!

So I am on a train today, sitting there reading, doing my best to get my head around Michel Foulcault "Discipline and Punish" and low and behold 6 bleedin studenty-types, early twenties, 5 lassies and one effeminite feller sit right in front of me!:(

I am then subjected to 1 hours worth of conversation that seemed to be 90%populated with these phrases.....

"Oh my god"

"Like...I was like, like no way,"

"He/she is a really cool guy"

Im not sure if I am explaining this very well so have a look at this clip where dear Stephen Fry manages to convey the sheer irritation generated by AQI.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OluCvL0lRnI

I think U R b in un cool!!

I'm with the OP 100%.

I can't abide the annoying verbal filler which seeps out of the mouths of most people under the age of 25. There's no necessity for the needless words when the glorious English language provides numerous adjectives to describe what you were like.

If you see a man muttering under his breath in the presence of such foolishness, that'll be me.

I think U R b in un cool!!

LOL!!

I know I am being uncool and I hope to god it remains the case! If being cool means that I jump ship and present myself like majority of the population then its the uncool boat for me.

I have few fears or worries in life but I must say, my biggest 'fear' is that I end up 'predictably normal'

Just as a sideline here...its actually more cool to be uncool nowadays anyway. I spent 3 years at uni surrounded by a large number of 'alternative' students who, due to being in the majority were actually not really alternative at all but very similar to the next man/woman.

Lol, the most alternative person there was a feller from my college course the previous year, ex builder, middle-aged, built like a wrestler, pure Sheffield lingo 'Na den, ow tha doin'?, pair of shorts in the middle of winter, studying a social work degree! He actually stood out as an individual, bless him.

Archived