Unleaded Diesel Differential

Isn't the difference that diesels do more mpg than petrol? I do hope that's right as we've just bought our lad a diesel because of all the miles he drives. I also noticed that his road tax will be cheaper than on his old car but I don't know if that's because the new car is a diesel.

Isn't the difference that diesels do more mpg than petrol? I do hope that's right as we've just bought our lad a diesel because of all the miles he drives. I also noticed that his road tax will be cheaper than on his old car but I don't know if that's because the new car is a diesel.

Diesels do, indeed, do more mpg than petrol engines; however, diesel also used to be cheaper than petrol (and still is in most countries) meaning the savings were even greater than they are now.

Road tax is based on the amount of emissions an engine produces; the new car must be "less polluting" than the old one. Whether that's simply because it's diesel and not petrol, or due to other improvements, I would not know.

Diesels do, indeed, do more mpg than petrol engines; however, diesel also used to be cheaper than petrol (and still is in most countries) meaning the savings were even greater than they are now.

Road tax is based on the amount of emissions an engine produces; the new car must be "less polluting" than the old one. Whether that's simply because it's diesel and not petrol, or due to other improvements, I would not know.

Thanks HeadingNorth. My lad says he expects to save at least a third on his fuel costs with the new car.

Archived