Anyone been to New York?

We were bought NYC passes as a wedding present 2 years ago, and probably didn't get to use them as much as we could have, due to only having 3 full days there. But we did go up the ESB twice (night and day) amongst other things, although we couldn't use it for the Rockefeller - so we went up that last year instead of the ESB.

As for safety, I walked around on my own last year while my hubby felt under the weather (90+degree heat, 100% humidity), for a good few hours and felt less threatened than I would walking to my local Co-Op right now in the dark. I can always remember one bit of advice that used to get trotted out, and that was 'don't look like a tourist'. As it turned out, it helped that we did because if we were a bit lost then someone stopped to point us in the right direction or at the very least just asked if we were ok. Absolutely no problem at all. I :love: the place.

We were bought NYC passes as a wedding present 2 years ago, and probably didn't get to use them as much as we could have, due to only having 3 full days there. But we did go up the ESB twice (night and day) amongst other things, although we couldn't use it for the Rockefeller - so we went up that last year instead of the ESB.

As for safety, I walked around on my own last year while my hubby felt under the weather (90+degree heat, 100% humidity), for a good few hours and felt less threatened than I would walking to my local Co-Op right now in the dark. I can always remember one bit of advice that used to get trotted out, and that was 'don't look like a tourist'. As it turned out, it helped that we did because if we were a bit lost then someone stopped to point us in the right direction or at the very least just asked if we were ok. Absolutely no problem at all. I :love: the place.

It's the best city in the world, and I'd move there like a shot if I could...

I dont suffer idiots who make silly remarks.

There are places in London, Birmingham, Sheffiled I'd stay clear of if I was there but none of them have the charisma and excitement of New York. I was there for two days many years ago and hoping to visit sometime next year

One of the best off Manhattan areas is the Woodlawn sector of ther Bronx, believe it or not, heavily populated by British and Irish ex pats, many of them illegals who get along together surprisingly well, a good place for us to buy Irish foods and tea at a fair price, and have a few beers in the most authentic pubs in America.

The trouble is that it is in the USA;)
Here we are enjoying a few comments from people who've come to visit the world's most exciting City, when you have to chip in wih comments like yours, I wish I knew why. They mean nothing. I personally don't give a monkeys, so why bother. I will not insult you. You are who you are, and have to live with it, and I'm sorry for you.:rolleyes:

I have many friends who live in America, so I guess I am not a yank phobe as you put it. Sorry to prove you wrong. At no time have I said I don't like America or Americans, sorry to prove you wrong again. All I said was I have no intention of visiting. Are you finding a simple statement difficult to understand. I have many relatives who live in America also and I do not have a problem with them either. It would seem that from your suppositions, which are so far off the mark they are untrue, that it is you who has the problem not me. We do however have something in common, strangely, I have no wish to visit Zimbabwe or Iran either;)
It never fails to amaze me how many naysayers say they have many American friends and/or relatives. They talk as if they know everything about us, failing to realize that some of us live, work, play and vote all our days here, and I for one often find them ignorant about us. I'm not saying you''re one of them, but you must understand that we get offended at times, when things are said without thought.

You don't always have to fly to get to NYC ;)

Anyhow each people have their own circumstances. It is a shame though, NYC is a great city to visit.

I'm currently banned from flying to Europe by my doctor, because of emphysema. So our annual Irish trip is off for this year and we'll have to make do with Florida, oh the agony of it all!. The only other way to go is by sea, and I vowed, after a near lifetime in the Royal Navy, I would never pay money to go to sea and it is a lot of money

i've been twice already and am going back in october for round three!!

I don't think you really need a city pass. there is so much to do and if you get some comfy shoes on and get walking you find loads of random stuff on the way.

As for the crime issues i went wandering by myself at night and day and i felt fine - don't get me wrong i wouldn't go wandering through the park (at night at all) or on the subway late night (on my own - was fine as a group) but thats just common sense. I never saw any trouble when i was there and to be honest people were really friendly, especially when the english accent comes flying out your mouth!!!

I would def second the suggestion to get the metrocard 7 day pass - you can get around so easily and its reasonably priced. Also if you want to see a show but don't have a specific one in mind then get to the TKTS booth in times square for half price tickets. Natual history museum is fab but MOMA and the guggenheim were a must see for art lovers. Me and my friend bought the "little black book" from a book shop and its worth getting - its a yearly produced guide of all the restaurants and bars with a write up and price guide for each district (although lonely planet has stuff like this in too). If you get a really good guide book like the lonely planet they have stuff like district walks and stuff like that. Make your own fun!!!!! Yes you have to see all the stuff from the movies but don't get too upset because we found so much random stuff by getting lost and checking out the different districts.

Yes the upper east side and all the brownstones are great but the east and west village and places like soho and the meatpacking district are so much more interesting and lively and eclectic.

oh i'll stop rambling now!!!! I'm just getting excited about my own trip, sorry!!!

Me again!! Some put on here earlier as a tip was to not look like a tourist. THat as daft as some people might think it sounds is great advice - If you walk around with your jaw flapping at every tall building carying your camera round your neck and all your travelling money in your bag you are a total target.

If you relax, enjoy yourself and apply common sense (something simple like carry a bag that has a strap across your body and zips and you can pull to the front where you can see it rather than sticking your wallet in your back pocket) people will take very little notice of you. And when i say people i mean thieving scumbags with no common decency!

When we went to madrid - two of the girls on the trip had all their money nicked on the subway from the aorport to the hotel cos they had their bags open and dangling behind them on a busy train......not a good start ot the trip!

Archived