Anyone been to New York?

hey you can't beat proper english ice cream, and we have great fish and chips......in most towns!
I hope you are not including Wall's in that number, but you do have that excellent Ben and Jerry's. Did anyone ever tell you they're from Vermont. I wasn't arguing about your fish and chips, merely emphasizing that I don't eat fast food burgers. Friendly's is not fast food, quite the opposite.:)

Ha, most probably. This was in a very small town in Massachusetts and the conversation began in the usual way "Oh, my, gard... Are you English?"
In Massachusetts they would have said"Oh My Gahd" Listen to any Kennedy speak and you'll see what I mean.:)

Thats strange Paul that they would be surprised as theres loads of Brits living in the US, not counting visitors, I here a British accent just about every time I'm in the supermarket. maybe there more in New England where I live but there certainly not unusual...last time I was in NY City I stopped to ask directions, the two Scottish girls told me where to find the store I was looking for, even told me what underground train to take.:)

This wasn't in New York, christ you are lucky if the assistant speaks English there let alone with an American accent.

It was in Rutland, MA... A town probably on the scale of Hooton Roberts. I don't think they'd seen many foreigners before :)

Thats strange Paul that they would be surprised as theres loads of Brits living in the US, not counting visitors, I here a British accent just about every time I'm in the supermarket. maybe there more in New England where I live but there certainly not unusual...last time I was in NY City I stopped to ask directions, the two Scottish girls told me where to find the store I was looking for, even told me what underground train to take.:)
In some of those wee towns up in the Berkshires, they don't get around much. They have their country fair every fall, when people come around from the next town, buy the cheese, then sell it back at their fair. They have a big fair in Springfield called the Big E, where every state in New England shows their stuff and big country music groups come. They even allow upstate New York in but that's all

In Massachusetts they would have said"Oh My Gahd" Listen to any Kennedy speak and you'll see what I mean.:)

Was on the news this morning that Obama and family are holidaying at Martha's Vinyard at an exclusive estate which costs 50,000 dollars a week.

That's enough to make anyone say "Oh my gahd" :hihi:

This wasn't in New York, christ you are lucky if the assistant speaks English there let alone with an American accent.

It was in Rutland, MA... A town probably on the scale of Hooton Roberts. I don't think they'd seen many foreigners before :)

Rutland is very small, just off the Worcester to Fitchburg road. I dare say most people there shop in Worcester, which is about the size of Rotherham. Don't think you'll find many Brits around, but Boston is another story.

Was on the news this morning that Obama and family are holidaying at Martha's Vinyard at an exclusive estate which costs 50,000 dollars a week.

That's enough to make anyone say "Oh my gahd" :hihi:

And he gets to go free in the biggest private jet in the world. I'd love to see that 747 trying to land at MV. They probably have to use the Gulfstream instead.

I hope you are not including Wall's in that number, but you do have that excellent Ben and Jerry's. Did anyone ever tell you they're from Vermont. I wasn't arguing about your fish and chips, merely emphasizing that I don't eat fast food burgers. Friendly's is not fast food, quite the opposite.:)

not including either-I was talking about real ice cream made from real strawberries or clotted cream mmmmmm

Is there really much to do in New York though? Like most American cities it just looks like a jumble of skyscapers, shopping malls, burger bars and freeways, inhabited primarily by tourists and gun-wielding gangs.

No art, no culture, no history, it must be like spending your holidays at Meadowhall!

I'm afraid your either highly mistaken or talking out of your backside.

Last time I visited New York I saw Michelangelo's first painting. The New York Met, Ellis Island, The Natural History Museum, MOMA and the Guggenheim are amongst some of the finest museums that I've visited. We spent a day in each of them, and we still struggled to catch everything in the New York Met and the The Natural History Museum.

Chelsea, Little Italy, Greenwich Village and the Flat Iron district are also really nice places to wander around. There are loads of public parks with always lots of things going on in them, if the architecture of New York isn't your thing.

As for the safety, I felt safer walking the streets of Manhattan than I do walking the city centre streets in Sheffield. Everywhere you go there are police.

If you do go, make sure you wear a bullet proof vest! If you thought crime was bad over here, it's nothing compared to New York.

i felt safer in new york than i do in london! there are police literally on every corner. as for being expensive no more so than visiting any other big capital city.

i woudlnt bother with the pass, as other people have said its much better to walk around and explore yourselves!

i went 6 weeks ago and thought it was amazing! x

Archived