Should War Memorials be given special legal status?

Without getting technical, it does carry limited weight. Specific v Basic intent crimes and all that. Said junkie would still be charged, just with a lesser offence, but again, as I said, the range of sentencing options would still be available, so it's largely a moot point.

I agree, theoretically you could be sent to prison for peeing in a public place, so the sentencing options already accommodate the public indignation of yobs who defile war memorials.

lest we forget.....for those of you who dont know thats a line from the service of rememberance to our fallen , what a shame they had to give their lives to defend the rights of a bunch of arsxxxxxles who wont even defend their monument ,hang your heads in shame ..

If you are fighting to protect freedom, then you aren't just fighting for the "nice" people, you are also fighting for the freedom of not so nice people to be not so nice.

That's a little false. They were not fighting to allow people to do whatever they please.

If you are fighting to protect freedom, then you aren't just fighting for the "nice" people, you are also fighting for the freedom of not so nice people to be not so nice.
i doubt the dead named on the monument even considered that as the german machine guns opened up ,they were told they were fighting agaisnt the germans,the ones who wanted to conquer england,and in those days no self respecting man was going to let that happen without a fight up to a few years ago people had respect for those that died ,now it seems that our new teens and younger adults have no respect,what a shame that it has come to this in the country that fought two world wars to ensure we live in freedom today

******* on a monument is like ******* on a grave its disgusting to say the least

See that is where i disagree - to me it is purely a symbol, and it doesn't really matter what people do to the monument itself, as it is only a symbol. It isn't, for example, doing it on the dead soldiers themselves.

probably due to the fact they still lay in ypes and other foreign fields

people who commit such acts have no morals and should be treated as such when they go to court

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/7959258/Protect-war-memorials-by-using-long-jail-terms-says-MP.html

At the moment, War Memorials do not have any special legal protection, and therefor under the current law desecrating a War Memorial is no different to peeing on or vandalising a normal wall.

Should desecrating a War Memorial be made a specific criminal offence, so offenders that will pee on them, graffiti them, and perform sex acts on them, can be punished accordingly?

Absolutely not. It's a ludicrous idea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/7959258/Protect-war-memorials-by-using-long-jail-terms-says-MP.html

At the moment, War Memorials do not have any special legal protection, and therefor under the current law desecrating a War Memorial is no different to peeing on or vandalising a normal wall.

Should desecrating a War Memorial be made a specific criminal offence, so offenders that will pee on them, graffiti them, and perform sex acts on them, can be punished accordingly?

yes they should have special protection, fantastic idea

Archived