USA visa question

I am going to the USA in October and would like to know if I need a visa? I have been on the website and it said this:

You will qualify for travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, or Switzerland:

* traveling on a valid, full validity, machine readable or e-passport with an electronic chip. Please check the validity of your passport by following this link. The date on which your passport was issued is an important factor in determining whether your passport will be acceptable for visa-free travel.

United Kingdom Passport holders please note: A passport indicating that the bearer is a British Subject, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British National (Overseas) Citizen, or British Protected Person does not qualify for travel without a visa.

Am I being thick or are these contradictory? or is the VWP talking about that green card you fill in on the plane?

I cant phone the number on my works restricted line and I can't find an email address so I would appreciate any help?

If you have your passport, and you were born in the UK, it should say "British Citizen" inside it. It also must have a machine-readable chip. If your passport's less than five years old, that is almost a certainty. It'll be on the reverse of the personal information page, and that page will be laminated to protect the chip, if you do indeed have one.

The VWP is indeed the green card you fill in on the plane. You will also need an authorisation to travel, from http://www.esta.cbp.dhs.gov

Get that as soon as possible, because they're about to start charging for them in a week or two.

If you have your passport, and you were born in the UK, it should say "British Citizen" inside it. It also must have a machine-readable chip. If your passport's less than five years old, that is almost a certainty. It'll be on the reverse of the personal information page, and that page will be laminated to protect the chip, if you do indeed have one.

The VWP is indeed the green card you fill in on the plane. You will also need an authorisation to travel, from http://www.esta.cbp.dhs.gov

Get that as soon as possible, because they're about to start charging for them in a week or two.

luckily its for work, so they will have to pay.

Thanks all for the info.:)

Make sure you apply for your ESTA before (iirc) 7 September 2010 otherwise it will start charging $15 after that date.

The ESTA is supposed to replace the green I-94W form however they being slowly phased out. They are now almost at a stage where you don't have to fill in the I-94W on the plane, just have to apply for the ESTA online.

Make sure you have travelers insurance before you go in case you might need medical treatment. There's no NHS here.

I know I watched Sicko the other day! completely mental. There were people sneaking into canada and pretending they lived there for medical treatment:o

I know I watched Sicko the other day! completely mental. There were people sneaking into canada and pretending they lived there for medical treatment:o

Michael Moor does tend to exaggerate though as he does in all his documentaries but there is some truth nevertheless.

No one could realistically sneak across into Canada and pretend they lived there simply because when arriving at the surgery they would be asked for a Canadian Medical card proving that they were entitled to coverage under their health plan. It's a regular habit where US citizens who live close to the Canadian border cross to buy their prescriptions at much cheaper Canadian prices. President Bush tried to stop it claiming that Canadian prescription drugs might not meet US standards which is the biggest crock of sh*t since many of the drugs sold in Canada came from the US. Understandable thougjh since the Republicans are all in the pocket of the big pharnaceutical companies

• 1 month later...

I have had my ESTA thing approved. I am not sure whether I have put the correct address on it. I have an overnight stopover in chicago on my way but I have put in the address of my final destination as I am there for a week.

Any thoughts, I can't use the phone number and there is no email address so I am stuck.

Archived